Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming an electrician after college

Options
  • 30-07-2021 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I’m in college at the moment doing a level 8 in business and law, but I have realised I have no interest in working in an office when I complete my degree in 9/10 months time.

I had always considered becoming an electrician and I think I might take the plunge after getting my degree as I’ll only be 22. I like the idea of maybe someday becoming self employed and using my degree to my advantage.

I think I’d prefer being an industrial electrician, but it’s difficult to gauge which companies are good/bad employers, and I’m also concerned about being shipped around the country at a moments notice. Also I’ve heard anecdotal stories of apprentices doing the likes of making tea for the qualified lads and I’d hate this, I’m there to learn the trade and be useful, I have no issue doing donkey work but I don’t want to be making tea or heading to the shops for people.

I guess I’m just wondering if anyone has ever made this move or if anyone has any wise advice?:) thanks a lot!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If menial tasks such as making tea for others, sweeping up and tidying the stores don’t sit well with you then you are unsuited to being a first year apprentice. The most junior people on site get these tasks. It won’t go on forever, but it is part of the job of a first year apprentice. As you learn more and gain experience this will be reflected in the tasks you are given.

being a qualified electrician will open a lot of doors for you and will practically guarantee employment for you (assuming you are at least semi competent) until your early forties on your tools. Then you would be best off in a role that is less physical.

In my experience industrial electricians are far more employable, carry out far more technical work, are better paid and have more transferable skills.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Thanks for your response!

I understand and have absolutely no problem doing jobs such as sweeping sweeping floors, tidying the stores and fetching tools and whatnot. However, I would certainly have an issue with tasks such as making tea which has no application to the role whatsoever and only seems to serve as a way to let apprentices know their place or something. But hey, such is life.

Perhaps it isn’t the route for me then. Though I do think normalising things like tea making something all apprentices should expect as part of the job could push a lot of candidates away from the trades, unnecessarily driving good future talent from the industry.

I don’t think it’s too much to expect individuals to make their own tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

You won't be expected to make the tea, you might have to collect a breakfast or lunch order, but, apprentices aren't expected to make tea, maybe it happened years ago, but, not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

I'm just going to speak candidly, so it's nothing personal here, ok ?

I think you would struggle as a first year apprentice even by having so many opinions and 'issues' about how things should be done, as you see it.

The trade has managed quite well without people who even think that tea making could push a lot of candidates away from the trades, unnecessarily driving good future talent from the industry.

You might think people should be making their own tea, but consider that maybe you're being tested by the people who are going to teach you your trade. They've been though the mill, and furthermore, as often as not they don't want to hear upstart opinions from college boys.

That is the reality on the ground. And you can expect to be told that, in very unambiguous terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Absolutely, nothing personal.

You say I have “so many opinions and issues”. I have simply stated I would have an issue with making tea and tasks that have nothing to do with trades. I will happily sweep floors sort out tool stores, climb into holes and get covered in shite chasing cables, I will literally do any undesirable job so long as it is training me to be better in the trade that I would hope to become qualified in.

If I wanted to serve tea or coffee I would get a job in Starbucks (I don’t even drink tea or coffee). Trust me I’m the last person who would consider themselves anyway superior just because I have a piece of paper called a degree.

You’re right in that the trades have managed quite well without me, I came here for advice and have got it. Thanks very much for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,358 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just make crap tea a few times, be grand.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Peppermint tea at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

You’ve got a lot of very candid and worthwhile advice here.

The trades can a tough apprenticeship in both learning skills and human interaction.

Advertisement