Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been left some forested land in a will - can I build on it?

Options
  • 31-07-2021 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Pretty sure the land is in receipt of a grant for I think another couple of years.

My questions are whether my late brother's death and leaving of the forested land to me will:

1) End his contract with the Forestry Commission?

2) Enable me to build on the land? Trees will need to be chopped down if I decide do so (am reluctant to do this as my brother was a passionate environmentalist)

Thanks in advance

v

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Yes his contract has ended, but the land stays in trees and any forestry payments left will go to you.

If you want to build on it, the equivalent area taken out of forestry has to be planted somewhere else. There might be an option to pay back all the premiums to date on a site, but a forester would know for sure what your options are.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Cheers for the nice words and the helpful advice, blue5000. Much appreciated

Advertisement