Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Treatments for fungal toenail infections ?

• 31-07-2021 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if these actually work ? (eg http://www.laserway.ie/nail-fungus-treatment/) they all seem to use the same lasers and the method of action they list seems plausible; they say the laser heats the nail/nailbed up to 55 degrees which kills the fungus and then you just wait for the nail to grow out.

I've had an infection for years and initially tried the topical paint-on nail varnishes. This had no effect and if you dig into it they admit that the success rate for these varnishes may be as low as 10%.

The next suggestion is always oral medication (Lamisil) but this has many potentially serious side effects (loss of sense of smell, liver damage etc). I have been prescribed this but I have never actually taken it as I'm on other medication that can cause liver damage so I'd rather not risk it. The success rate here is apparently much higher than the varnishes but still far from 100%.

The lasers claim a success rate of 80% and to be at least as good as the oral medication but with none of the potential side effects. So, I'm wondering why none of the doctors I've consulted have ever suggested the laser treatment ? They prescribed the Lamisil tablets knowing my other condition and said if I did take the Lamisil I would have to watch my bloods very carefully for any signs of trouble so clearly they are aware that, particularly for me, there are significant risks yet no mention of an apparently equally effective treatment with no side-effects. The laser is expensive; it looks like it would cost me ~€500 but still this is no reason not to at least mention it. It's also a bit odd that it seems to be almost exclusively 'beauty salons' that are offering the laser treatment rather than dermatologists or chiropodists.

So does anyone have any experience of this or indeed know why it only seems to be performed and recommended by non-medical professionals ? Does this suggest its quackery or is this simply snobbery on the part of medical professionals because its a procedure that doesn't require any medical credentials ?

Thanks,

Zozo.

Comments

Advertisement