Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1001 Days to Boston - the journey is the destination

Options
  • 31-07-2021 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Hi folks,

Hope this title explains the plan simply enough. Qualify for the 2024 Boston Marathon (hopefully 27/04/24) and enjoy the process.

I’m a fifty two year old slogger with a dream of making the Boston M55 Good For Age (GFA) grade and going sub 3:30 in the process. Never done that time before and I’ve a bit of a mental block about it so I’m hoping to creep up on it. I did 3:45 in DCM19 and had plans for Rotterdam and DCM in 2020 that obviously got scrapped by CV19. I’m working towards the rescheduled Rotterdam in 12 weeks time ( Oct Bank Holiday weekend) and following the Hanson plan.

The big picture plan is to get to 3:3x in Rotterdam, try 3:2x in Spring 2022 and hopefully get an actual M55 BQ qualifying time in DCM22. If not, then go again in Spring 2023 before the expected September 2023 BQ deadline. The current M55 GFA is 3:35 but due to demand the 2021 BQ was actually 7:47 lower so we’re talking 3:28. Say 3:25 to be sure. Maybe I’ll blow that time out of the water by then or maybe I’ll be blown out of the water but I’m going to give it a serious shot after multiple previous marathons that always seemed to be just about getting around typically aiming for sub 4.

Like most here, my family and work take priority and this will involve a few marathon cycles so it’ll be a slow burn log, probably with gaps but I intend to build properly and trust the process. I enjoy running and challenging myself but think Boston is at the edge of my current limit but achievable with focus and hard work. I expect the ‘journey’ to be rewarding in its own way so I’m looking forward to that as much as the dream of running Boston and going sub 3:30. I’ve logged here before (many years ago) and found it helpful and I’ve been lurking again for several months so it’s time to get the show on the road. 🤗

Day 1 - 1001 days to go

13km @ 5:33/km. Easy loop run from O’Briens Bridge (OBB) to Clonlara while my son was rowing in a regatta in OBB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Day 2 - 1000 days to go

22km @ 5:27/km. Down in Kerry for the week so long run from Banna to Barrow. Target pace was 5:32/km but feeling good so actually had to reign it in a bit after first few km. Started to feel it over last 5km but nice sunset and quiet roads with interesting Hubberman podcast made it a solid run bang on the 2 hour mark.

Forgot to mention in my initial post that I’m based in Limerick and do a regular Tuesday evening Track session in UL which is a good training group. I also do a bit of social cycling with a local group of friends so that’ll also get a mention from time to time. I also try to do a weekly yoga class and S&C when it’s running.

Day 3 - 999 days to go

10km easy @ 6:00/km. Dusk run from Banna to Casements Fort on quiet road.

Left it very late after dinner but mild soft rain evening

p.s. also did 14km lunchtime hike from Tralee to The Spa via Blennerville and back

Post edited by RedB on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck with this. I set out on a similar quest a few years back for Boston 2016. With a few marathons under the belt I'd be confident you can make this target with a bit of discipline and structure. Hanson will certainly be enough to get you there if you carry it off properly - lots of good advice in the Hanson thread on the main page of the forum. Do you have any recent races or TTs to go on, in terms of choosing appropriate paces for the Hanson speed sessions (and more importantly, the marathon target).

Good luck!

Thanks M. Just DCM19 3:45 and a 10km time trial. Aiming for 3:35 but rethinking everything 2021 related after bad bike crash today. Badly broken elbow and fingers 😱 in a&e overnight with surgery tomorrow. Dramatic day 🤕

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Good luck with the recovery. At least you have plenty of time (997 days 🤔) to get back on track.

• Advertisement

Day 201 - 800 days to go

Ok I know it’s over 6 months of a gap but I’m back 😎

My bike accident last August turned out to be more serious than I thought at the time. I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks and off work for another 2 weeks 😨. I was fairly battered and am still getting physio on my right arm and probably will be for the next 6 months but I can run. I wasn’t able to exercise during August/September but started from scratch again in October building up from 5k to 17k. Logged 143k in Oct and a solid 256k in Nov before the Border Half on 5/12/21. I was very happy to get that done in 1:47 and took it easy then for the rest of December logging only 90k for the month. Also took it easy in Jan as went Skiing and only logged 155k. I finally got back on the bike after 6 months and I would like to do more cycling with my buddies. I’ve also been doing regular club run sessions on Tuesdays (intervals) and Thursdays (20min tempos) as well as Park Runs for a few weeks now and enjoying them. I haven’t been doing much long runs and just got back to 16k last Sunday. I’m not sure what the plan is for the immediate future but I’ve a DCM entry for next October. I didn’t get to do Rotterdam last October due to my accident so my original plan needs to be revised. I had a quick look at Great Limerick Run tonight but it’s only 10 weeks away so I probably don’t have enough time to give that a decent effort 🤔. I might do a ‘get around’ plan as it’s local and get me back on the wagon. Then try for 3:3x in DCM22 and 3:2x in a spring marathon in 2023 and BQ somewhere by September 2023…………………….

I really like that idea of having a long term goal like Boston qualifier.

It gives you some real motivation to keep trying for the foreseeable future.

I might think about something similar for myself as well.

So, starting to pick up momentum a bit on the running and blogging front.

Sat - 13km with 5km park run (23:33 @ 4:41/km) plus 4km WU & WD. A bit ropey after Friday night pints with Brothers home and watching Munster match but went comfortable enough.

Sun - Long Slow Run 21.1km @ 6:03/km. Might have overdone it by pushing longer distance too soon as right shin feels a bit sore now but it was an enjoyable run despite the wind and rain. Considering doing GLR which is 10 weeks away today so need to to fast track into a plan quickly in order to make that happen. It’ll take a bit of shuffling to glide back into a Hanson plan at this stage but that’s what I’m thinking. I’m probably not going to commit until mid March so I’ll see how the next 4 weeks goes.

Mon - AM - 30min Wattbike session in UL gym plus variety of upper body weights for arm, shoulders and chest

PM - 50min Circuits session in UL. First time trying it. Grand but not really the S&C I’m looking for.

Tues - AM 30min Wattbike session in UL gym plus variety of upper body weights for arm, shoulders and chest

PM - Club track intervals session. 10 x 80sec (Avg 350m, 3:50/km) with 1min recovery plus 2km WU and 1km WD.

Lot of lactate after the Tuesday track session 😛

Wed - run rest day - AM 30min Wattbike session in UL gym plus variety of upper body weights for arm, shoulders and chest

Thurs - Lunchtime 30min Wattbike session in UL gym plus variety of upper body weights for arm, shoulders and chest

PM - 12km- 30min tempo @MP plus 3.5km WU and 2.5km WD ( 6km @5:08)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey Red stumbled across this; sorry about the crash hope you are ok

will be following closely; best of luck

Hey Benny, delighted to see this. Hope all well with you and you're still in the A/R/T game 😀

Yeah, turned out I did overdo and shin still protesting. I've abandoned any thoughts of GLR and ramped down the running and ramped up the cycling for the time being. Trying to get into a routine of regular, sustainable exercise with good eating and recovery habits.

Fri 25th Feb - 10km very slow pm run (6:20/km), no energy😔. Tired at the end of a busy week.

Sat 26th Feb - 13km - 5km Park Run (24:23, 4:51/km) plus 4km WU and WD. Still feeling no energy. Need to dial it back.

Sun 27th Feb - Lanzarote for a week with MrsB 😎

Tues 1st Mar - 65km cycle Puerto Del Carmen - Playa Blanca return with MrsB. Lovely on outward leg 😊. Nice lunch there. Slogfest on return into huge headwind.😓

Wed 2nd Mar - 65km solo cycle Puerto del Carmen - Clun La Santa return. Much better, avoided the worst of the wind.

Sat 5th Mar - 10km run 5:34/km along seafront. Nice.

Mon 7th Mar - Back home in the UL gym. Wattbike Repeated Efforts 30min workout plus 30min basic weights.

Tues 8th Mar - 11km run - UL club track interval session - 4 x 6min @ 4:31/km with 1 min recovery plus 2.5km WU and WD

Wed 9th Mar - UL gym. Wattbike Eat the Elephant 40min workout plus 30min basic weights. Feeling a cold coming on

Fri 11th Mar - UL gym. Wattbike Aerobic Efficiency 30min workout plus 30min basic weights. Cold endgame in progress🤧

Sat 12th Mar - 102km cycle with the lads. Feeling strong on the bike so rounded up to 100k+ when they headed home at 80km 😛

Sun 13th Mar - 10km easy recovery run @5:45/km

Mon 14th Mar - UL gym. Wattbike Aerobic Efficiency 30min workout plus 30min basic weights. Evening easy 11km run @6:00/km

Tues 15th Mar - UL gym (am). Wattbike Sustained Power 30min workout plus 30min basic weights. 9km run (pm) - UL club track interval session - 3 x (5x(30s easy/20s med/10s hard) continuous) with 2 min recovery plus 2.5km WU and WD. 1.5hr weekly Yoga class.

Wed 16th Mar - UL gym (am). Wattbike Climbs with a Punch 40min workout

Thurs 17th Mar - 67km (am) cycle @25kph with the lads to Killaloe, Broadford. 30km (pm) cycle @20kph with Mrs B to O'Briens Bridge (OBB)

Advertisement