Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Spring EV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭innrain

I think for the like of GoCar should be an interesting proposition. It is not a fancy car and people would rightly say I buy new a car that feels old but as a runaround makes sense. I imagine the insurance to be cheaper for these yokes so a young driver might see it as a good entry car. On PCP might be around 100 a month which is quite affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

And a perfect 1st car for many rural people I know, who never go further than the local town..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@fafy - was coming on here to post the same. Now we're talking, that is cheap! Only a bit over a grand cheaper than the Dacia Sandero, which for years was the cheapest car money could buy in Ireland. Not sure if it is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Woodie40

Precisely, there is a place for bargain brands like Dacia, BYD, MG but they need to be retailing around 15-20k max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

And best part is it has a normal handbrake 🤔 .

I wonder could you do a handbrake turn in it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭fafy

UK configurator is now up, £16.995 for the higher power version.

https://www.dacia.co.uk/hybrid-and-electric-range/spring-city-car/configurator.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

£14,995 for the basic model. For comparison the sandero starts at £13,795. The sandero here starts at €16,190 so this is shaping up to be a sub-€20k car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The cheapest Sandero in the UK is the TCe 90 which is 17,090 here. Also, the basic model Spring EV has 45 bhp and does 0-100 km/h in 19 seconds, I personally wouldn't buy a new car that was that slow. The "high" power version for £16,995 in the UK is much better.

If someone is in the market for a cheap new electric car, the Nissan Leaf 40 kWh is now down to 22.5k here with "trade in booster" and even with it being an old design and with some well known limitations and Chademo DC charging, it is surely a far superior car than a Spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭fafy

Good point, and the Leaf is a 5 seater, Spring is a 4 seater, with a way smaller cabin, a much smaller boot, and much lower tech, but if it is say 19.5k for the higher power Spring version here, there is still a small market for that for some customers.

• Advertisement

@BrianD3 - " the basic model Spring EV has 45 bhp and does 0-100 km/h in 19 seconds, I personally wouldn't buy a new car that was that slow"

On the face of it that seems slow, but most likely the 0-50km/h time is quite acceptable. That would be typical for low power EVs. I agree with the price though. Cheap Chinese electric cars should start at not an awful lot more than €15k on the road here. And this should further come down over the coming decade.

The cheap Chinese cars here are about twice the price they are in China. The lower power and slower 0-60 time will suit Sunday mass drivers. They could also be a lot cheaper to insure than a leaf etc because of the lower powered motor

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

The majority of people buying this car won't be worried about the bhp or how quickly it gets from 0-100 and matters naught if they did as the majority wouldn't go outside a 50 or 80kph zone. An ideal urban or semi rural car.

If priced right this could sell like hot cakes.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It won't compare well to the BYD Seagull though

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Perhaps all round the seagull is better but price wise the spring might have the edge after the EU whacks BYD with tariffs.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Exactly. Just like the Dacia Sandero sold like hotcakes all over Europe, even in Ireland. That was a rotten car, horrible yoke. But I'd have no issues driving the Spring EV

Ms

I take it you are talking about the first generation. It was not a bad car for what it was cheap and honest about it. It did not pretend to be anything else and drove decent too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ah for sure. I actually liked cheap and cheerful manual petrol cars a few decades ago. But that time has now long gone. The only thing petrol manual I now enjoy is a classic car or a sports car for an occasional enjoyable drive. Not for day to day driving. That makes it a horrible chore compared to more modern but equally cheap EVs

The old Sandero was ok, the current one is a major step up and is leagues ahead of the Kwid/Spring. The Sandero is much more spacious, comfortable, stable and is built on the same modern platform as the current Clio. As useful on an autobahn as it is in a city. It's a great blend of simplicity and modernity.

In contrast, the Spring is a 2015 design intended for developing markets and it shows. Safety was initially appalling (Rover 100 level) and Renault had to be shamed into modifying the car. It's a lot stronger now but even so, is less safe than the Sandero. 49% NCAP adult occupant score for Spring, 70% for Sandero.

WLTP range of the Sandero is over 900 km, WLTP of the Spring is 230 km and it can barely do the Irish mway limit flat out. Given its limitations and clear inferiority in so many areas versus a petrol Sandero for 17k, a fair price for the Spring would be no more than about 12k. The addition of an electric drivetrain to the Renault Kwid to turn it into the Dacia Spring, increasing the price and decreasing the range doesn't get it close to being better than the Sandero even if those besotted with EV drivetrains over all else seem to think it does.

• Advertisement

@BrianD3 - "WLTP range of the Sandero is over 900 km, WLTP of the Spring is 230 km"

I doubt anyone in this country has ever driven 900km in a Sandero in a day 😂 and if they have, the poor fecker 😂😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Given all of that, it’s a pretty shambles of a car. Not surprised though with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Same here the only time I enjoy a manual is when it's a twisty road and no traffic. Which is about 5% of my driving these days.

My opinion is still the same, there are better cars for the money.

That said some will still be attracted to the cheaper new car rather than how good it is.

Probably a buggy early used ID3 would starts to look more attractive or an Ionic. They've dropped in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

Drove the manual diesel 7 seater today for the first time in 3 months. Thoroughly enjoyed the manual gearbox, found myself downshifting for the hell of it. The other thing I was surprised with was how silent it is when up to speed, especially the lack of road noise which is very noticeable in the M3P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

Yeah sure I am back in a manual petrol and love the thing, the sound of the engine, the gear changes, I mean I was happy with EV kinda, for 9 years but there's simply no driver engagement, I really missed it. + we took the diesel for the longer trips anyway so look at the end of the day I did what's best for me and I'm really happy with what I got now + I got a much better interior with far less tech and screen nonsense.

+ I love the suspension and the handling of the "much" lighter petrol car, driving a 2 tonne hatchback at the end of the day is never going to be fun in the bends.

I'm into motorbiking now too which is amazing fun, I wish I had done it years ago but I did it and I love it, better than lying on my death bead wishing I had done it !

• Advertisement

I have sat in the current Jogger, Sandero and the stepaway and was impressed with the interiors, ok, if you're one of those screen addicted people who can't take a dump without a screen or walk down the street without a screen in your face you might find them retarded old tech for ancient people but the simplicity and ergonomics are really good by comparison to may cars now.

One thing that does bug me though is that the dacia cars without the screen have nothing for the radio only the small screen on the instrument cluster, no buttons to control anything or radio presets which I find really dumb and really mad that you have to use their app to control the radio ? wtf Dacia ?

However their screen isn't so bad, it's compact enough without taking over the whole car but for someone who just wants a basic car and no screens it's really bad Dacia chose to force someone to use an app on their phone…..

I think if Dacia still sold LPG cars I would have bought one, but they dropped LPG in my opinion because LPG has died in the U.K or almost dead and I feel they weren't bothered making Right hand drive cars with lpg for the Irish market, pity because I got an LPG station a few kms away.

I think Dacia should have taken the twizzy and made it better than the Renault version because I really believe we need to get out of the mindset of 5 seater 2+ tonne cars and get in single person vehicles.

Many modern 125 cc petrol motorbikes and scooters can do 150+ imp mpg these days and are far more popular on the continent than the U.K or Ireland and be it electric or petrol there are huge advantages TO ditching the big 5 seater for proper single person transport or taking the 2 wheels when the big car isn't needed.

Having recently get on 2 wheels I absolutely love it and for all my shorter run-a-bouts I'm on the bike and not in the car and even though it's a 2007 I get around 280 Kms on 20 Euro worth of petrol in a 500 cc scooter and that's not even fuel efficient by modern standards. I can even ride around my local back roads without having to stop and pull in to let other cars pass lol. I really do enjoy that !

Do you not use the steering column controls to control the radio? Similar controls have been in Renaults since the 1980s and work great. Rarely have to touch the head unit buttons.

I don't care about Spotify or any of that crap, would prefer to have music on CDs or USB but could live without it as long as I had a basic radio. Surely you don't need to connect a smartphone to use the radio in the Dacia without the dashboard screen?

"Surely you don't need to connect a smartphone to use the radio in the Dacia without the dashboard screen?"

Not sure about the electric car what they have or now but No you don't as you say you can use the steering controls but can't beat having the station preset buttons on the dash, I mean how difficult can it be to have traditional controls for the radio ? It's just lazy design, yes steering controls work but you don't get presets, you can't instantly choose a station you know you programmed on to no.1, 2 etc or go from one to the other without having to go through each one until you find the station you're on, this is why you need the smart phone app, it's ridiculous.

To be honest I would just use iphone and Siri and tune in radio if it were not for all the ridiculous adds every time you change station, this has really destroyed internet radio and one reason I mostly stopped listening to internet radio.

But for music I am happy with just bluetooth connection to car.

I would presume Dacia have USB for music but not sure how you would control it, probably steering controls.

Each to their own I suppose but scrolling through stations using the steering column controls wouldn't bother me, much safer than pressing buttons on a head unit or touchscreen. I have been driving Renautls with column controls for the radio for 30 years and the system has been around since the 1980s. Took other manufacturers years to cop on to this and even when they did, many put radio controls on the wheel (moving target) which was worse than Renault's stalk controls.

• Advertisement

Couldn't car less what radio it has, I'll never buy one.

Buy a car with physical buttons if that's what you prefer. That's what I did. Has a CD, SD Card slot. Happy out.

Yeah the steering controls work well I've have them but can't beat the simplicity of just pressing 1 for radio 1, 2 for 2fm etc rather than scrolling through each one to find the preset you want.

Yeah I'm happy with what I have now but it's getting harder and harder to find a car without all that BS.

I wouldn't buy the spring either, too expensive for a very limited range car that takes ages to charge, I'd rather use the Tmax 500 as my daily transport at least I'd be able to take it further and goes 280+ kms on 20 euro of petrol.

Even a 10 year old 1.0L yaris would be much better and can go anywhere any time and full up in 3 mins.

Scooters, 1.0T, buttons, REX. Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh.

Sorry mods!

I have zero desire to do 350km on a scooter, even less to drive 700km with a 3 min stop. Who cares if it's costs €20. I'd happily pay multiples of that to avoid doing such a miserable joyless journey.

Personally I have never had an occasion where I suddenly had to go somewhere with no warning with a empty vehicle. Its a nonsense scenario to justify fringe scenarios that are almost entirely irrelevant.

Its getting very tiresome for the same full dogma to be posted in every other thread when it's irrelevant to the topic title. What moron is going to buy a Dacia Spring for 700km non stop journeys. Daft.

What moron would pay for a car like it when there are better ICE cars is beyond me but each to their own.

And yeah, 2 wheels is a lot of fun. far from misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭derekreilly

Embargo for driving impressions lifted this morning so here's what it's like to drive

Ms

I think Dacia should have taken the twizzy and made it better than the Renault version because I really believe we need to get out of the mindset of 5 seater 2+ tonne cars and get in single person vehicles.

Agree totally with this. Most people don't even use all the space in there big cars and they just clock up our roads.

We need more of these on the roads. You don't need to drive a bike just one of these oh but you do need to do an IBT course to drive one :) . This is mine by the way.

The plus is Tax is only €35 euro a year :)

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Oooh, what is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭kaahooters

cutomers: "give us cheap new eves"

Dacia:"bet, here ya go"

customers:" no, not this"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I assume you can also drive that on a full car license without doing any course. Depending when you got your full license.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

It's an electric Trike. It's an LMI. They make bikes too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Some new pre-reg VW e-Up’s are still available. Much nicer car than a Spring if you want a new EV for small money

VW e-up is very small, not much good for anybody over 6ft, but I accept it has a use and the price is actually bang on

This simply isn't true. I was in one today, I am over 6'1 and had at least 3 inches headroom to spare.

What about leg room though? I find in general small cars need to be driven from the back seat by me

Leg room was fine too. What height are you, 6'8? 😂

I didn't try sit "behind me" in the back and no doubt it would be tight in there. But in the front it is fine. Not a very comfortable car to be in, mind. I had just come out of driving a 2012 Nissan Leaf for a long spin and it was miles better.

Dacia Spring now €8k in Belgium. Price dropped to €10.6k and the grants bring it further down

That makes it cheaper than the cheapest car in Europe has been for a very long time. I recall the Dacia Sandero base model was the cheapest car at about €10k when it first launched which must have been over a decade ago

I'd buy one at €8k…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

When are they coming to Ireland?

Advertisement