Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden exterior door stiles width. Why so thick

Options
  • 01-08-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Im looking for a slim looking exterior door but every single door has these massive stiles amd rails (not sure if thats the correct terminology)

Can someone tell me the reason, bar strength. Is it possible to get slim exterior doors outside of steel framed ones

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What thickness do you need, and why so lite. Exterior door material thickness is there for the reason you think, strength.

Most times they may be laminated in the double to counteract any twisting or cupping deformity's that happen in timber.

Also the ever increasing use of triple glazed units means materials may have to be heavier. So what thickness you looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Joints that form the top, bottom corners and intermediate (top, freeze ,middle and bottom rails) structure of the door are subject to more stress, so you should use longer tenons or dowels to help distribute the weight.

Also the lock stile needs to be substantial to accommodate the lock requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Right now we have steel glazed doors which are very slim. Looking to get as slim as possible to keep the sightlines.

Surface mounted door locks are okay for me so i wouldnt need them to be thick to accomodate it. Its also a secondary front door so im not too concerned about security.

This is what we currently have, looking to replace it for something similar (sorry its an instagram link but the new app wont allow me to upload from my phone

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8pGVImHDWC/?utm_medium=copy_link

Advertisement