Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie email address issue July 2021

Options

Comments

I have just received a security alert email and text from Microsoft with regards to the email address that I use for boards.

I never use this email address and never check it either. The email from Microsoft came into my main email account.

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

@Boards.ie: Niamh

There's far too many posters coming to light remembering having to deselect the share email option.

I'm having trouble believing your statement about a small number of effected posters.

How many posters do you need to inform of the issue?

I have been very critical of the migration, yet I have held on. TBH, whatever loyalty to the site that I had remaining, is rapidly dwindling.

This email breech, coupled with the amount of posters coming to light that had to deselect the option and quite frankly, the appearance that Boards HQ are sweeping this under the carpet is not good enough.

The final nail in the coffin, is driven halfway in at this stage.

How many people had to be notified of the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

This is honestly a disgrace now. Rug sweeping, lack of responses, changing of the thread title. Wow.

I'm extremely glad I closed down my long standing, 10+k post account long before the migration because I'd have very easily been doxxed it seems with this data breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mad that an admin can just change a title willy nilly then refuse to reply to anyone on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Be worth taking a screenshot of the reply where it says that nobody had it turned on by default in case this thread goes away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭sioda

I know I saw it early on, on Niamhs announcement and changed it myself

You know in Dunkirk when all the officers and most of the soldiers had departed and a handful were left trying to fight off the Germans overruning their positions.

I kinda think of poor Mickeroo and Niamh like that, left out there on their own, desperately trying to stave off the collapse, with zero support.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Shield is also fighting the good fight.

Yep, agree, they are left conducting the orchestra while the ship sinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement

How to destroy your own business in three easy steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don’t think the thread title accurately describes how serious the issue is. Labelling it as an “email address issue” gives the impression that the issue is something like people are having trouble logging in. I would have skimmed past it had I not seen the issue discussed on another thread. It definitely needs to be rectified

What the **** have you done, boards?

Everything on that email account is now in Chinese (I think) from 22 July. Any email prior to that date is in English. I dunno whether to 😆 or 😢 and when I go to settings to change language I can’t do so because it’s all in **** Chinese right now!

I don’t want to email you about it as I would need to use my primary email address to do so and I don’t trust that it wouldn’t be comprised too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've said this before, one employee and two volunteers trying to publicly deal with issues and complaints, while Odhran does an occasional drive by post drop and speeds off.

He needs to log in and engage honestly with posters, especially over the email data breach.

@Boards.ie: Odhran it's time to stop hiding behind Niamh.

Set up a burner email and change your Boards email address to that, then ignore your old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Jesuse what a mess. Use google translate to get your settings back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So can we assume that @Boards.ie: GDPR will be wheeling out their DPO to address this issue? That the privacy and GDPR planning and response documentation will be forwarded on to the DPC along with a review of Boards/Vanilla processes and failure points?

What's particularly galling about this? Is that I raised GDPR concerns regarding the move on Twitter and the pro-forma answer given has been proven to be completely and utterly a product of vacuous optimism with no basis in reality.

What were the steps taken to ensure that during the migration, and upon its completion that all boards.ie users would enjoy the same levels of privacy and GDPR compliance as prior?

Who was responsible for that aspect of the planning and was outside advice sought from GDPR/DP consultant or practitioners?

As if there was, it would behoove boards to check their malpractice insurance. If not? Why not? Who in Boards HQ decided "arra shut, I know better and can power thru!"

I still can't see the privacy and cookies policies on mobile either, although I've read that they're inaccurate so ... 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don't find this funny.

I had the same issue as @fritzelly and it is my real email that was visible.

I am not amused and as somebody who takes GDPR very seriously everyday in my professional capacity I will not accept this with no explanation or apology and attempt at fixing any problems that may arise.

The fact that we are only talking on a thread as ' allowed' by an admin shows the level of contempt we are held in by the main people in charge.

Boards@odhran I want somebody to contact me personally and explain why I was left exposed with a box ticked for the bones of a week displaying my private email to the world, when I have always kept my business here private.

I am awaiting a call back to discuss this matter, from the Data Commissioners Office.

I really think people are overestimating the amount that Boards.ie cares about their thoughts and input.

This thread, this issue, posters leaving...it's noise. In time, things will return to normal, they'll be a little bruised, we'll have had our laugh, but there's no real rival to go to. And they know that. The function of this site is to generate money for the owners, takings will be down over the transfer, but they'll ride it out.

Have people forgotten they're on an Irish site, and if they expect heads rolling, genuine contrition (as distinct from PR apologies), personal calls...we have never done it at any level or in any context here. The wagons will be circled and life will go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭con747

Without peoples thoughts and input there would be no Boards.ie so maybe they should care about the people who they are asking to put up with this mess and data leaks.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

So what’s actually going to happen? In a few days time we have ‘the office’ come back to us and tell us that they’re ‘weely weely sowry and that they such have communicated better with us, have learned a lesson and luv da community”?

It's certainly looking that way isn't it?

Ignore, deflect and whataboutery have all already been deployed. Next up is the disingenuous apologies and learning for the future 😉

1. Email data breaches

2. Zombie PMs deleted long ago returning to life

3. Odhran still hiding behind Niamh's skirt

4. Site still not functional

Have I missed anything?

They’ve all hidden today. Not one post from boards in here at all today.

Im fuking seriously pissed off. PMs I had sent to talk to Vodafone reps that I definitely deleted are now back in my inbox. The email associated with boards compromised this morning.

Vanilla fuking ****!

It might be worth taking up with the Data Protection Commissioner, you would have given a lot of info to the Vodafone rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

A sh1t show of epic proportions from start to finish.

The damage done to the community irreparable.

I've only just gone and looked at my PMs now.

What the actual fúck has been done! The old VBulletin allowed I think 500 messages saved? You had to delete messages whenever you hit the limit.

Note that, Delete. You could hive off into folders or download but deletion was the usual course of action.

So I find it more than a little irritating that deleted PM's send/received over the course of my 14yrs on this site have reappeared.

From where? What authority or permission was granted to boards.ie to not only retain deleted messages? But to transfer them and then reinstate them?

It suggests they were never really private.

But not to worry, Odhran will report it to the DPC!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Just discovered the same, loads of old PMs that I deleted long ago. Or so I thought. 🙄

Advertisement