Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling on the Footpath?

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Doesn't mention cycling.

13. (1) Subject to sub-articles (2) and (3), a vehicle shall not be driven along or across a footway.

(2) Sub-article (1) does not apply to a vehicle being driven for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the footway.

(3) A reference in sub-article (1) to driving along or across a footway, includes s reference to driving wholly or partly along or across a footway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Resource guzzling doesn't really have the same ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The existence of a tiny number of non-gas guzzling SUVs that are hugely resource hungry in terms of manufacturing, disposal and road space doesn't really negate the harm done by this whole sector of the motor trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I always assumed cyclists would try to claim the footpaths too. Once the penny finally dropped with them that they were put on the roads next to powerful vehicles for the safety of pedestrians, not for their own safety.

If you think about it, what is the difference between a pedestrian and a cyclist? Nothing other than that lump of metal between your groin. That lump of metal affords you zero protection over anything that a pedestrian has on foot. But yet you are on the road next to dangerous vehicles. If I put on some Lycra and a helmet, and started running around in traffic weaving in and out of cars and trucks like many cyclists, I would be in grave danger - not to mention breaking the law. But put a bike between my legs, and now I'm magically safer? How so? If anything the addition of the bike makes me less safe to be on the road - bikes can go faster (speed almost always makes accidents worse), and bikes are inherently unstable, that's what makes them high maneuverable. But this lack of stability also makes you more vulnerable too.

So my contention really, is that cyclists are actually just highly vulnerable pedestrians that were dumped onto the roads among powerful vehicles, and have no real business being there. But then you can't plonk them on the footpaths, because we all know cyclists love to zoom around at speed and assume everybody will see them in their brightly colored Lycra and get out of their way. The poor cyclists, nobody really wants them. Lets just be honest about it. 😆

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's amazing how many drivers fail to notice that one extra cyclist means one less car in the traffic jam in front of them in many cases. It is therefore in the interests of many drivers to encourage and support cycling, unless they really like hanging around in traffic jams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

With the reduction of car lanes they get the best of both worlds. No cyclists, and they get to spend more time in queues with cars. Win win really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You make a very good argument for segregated cycle lanes. (Lanes painted on existing roads or pavements don’t qualify as cycle lanes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Except yes, they do, same as lanes painted on roads are exactly what motorised vehicles rely on. (But yes, fully segregated would be best).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

Sorry, I'll build a shrine to your bike and pray to it every night. We must all bend over backwards for cyclist

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh? what do you mean by bend over backwards?

Advertisement