Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanturk - Opinions

Options
  • 02-08-2021 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some opinions on the town of Kanturk in Cork.

Currently planning to buy a new build home there but not very familiar with the area itself.

Myself and my partner have visited a few times during the process and although it does have the small town feel of many places throughout Ireland which suits us down to the ground.

Just wondering if there is anything I should be mindful of such as rough areas, lacking infrastructure, broadband etc.?

We both work in Cork City and are ok with a 45 minute drive each way in order to secure a detached and peaceful area to live but want to make sure I am not missing any major red flags being so unfamiliar with the location.

Appreciate any and all advice from those familiar with the area itself.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭mossie

You should be OK with broadband as long as you're in, or near the town. Railway stations in Banteer (5km) and Mallow (20km) if you fancy a break from driving to Cork. Wouldn't say there are "rough" areas as such. You have a large Lidl and SuperValu, Aldi on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

Thanks for taking the time Mossie, are you from there yourself?

The new development is just north of the town about 5 mins from Dun An Oir so hopefully decent broadband will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭mossie

I'm from the general area but not the town itself, few miles outside I'd say you'd be ok with the broadband if you're that close anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Strangely enough , there are areas well outside the town that have already been picked up for Eir fibre to the home. A colleague of mine is in the Banteer direction and has 800mb/s .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hi,

I assume it’s Curragh Ard your hoping to buy?

beautiful part of town abs just far enough to be quiet!

town it’s self Is grand, no rough areas, just a few token tools that every town has.

like mossie said, plenty of shops, schools etc. New primary school being built as well. Not far from any major town or city either.

plus plenty of sports clubs and some new sporting infrastructure coming on track as well

• Advertisement

Broadband no issue, I’ve sky and it’s perfect, I’d be about 12 min walk from town in a different estate

It is indeed, currently have a booking deposit down and awaiting the specifications before signing contracts.

Myself and the partner fell in love with the development as it’s hard to come by new build detached houses that aren’t absolutely insane money around Cork but don’t know a huge amount about the area itself. We’ve visited once or twice in the interim and it seemed like a nice quiet town overall so just wanted to be sure there wasn’t anything about the area we were completely overlooking.

Im from Dublin living in Cork City about 8 years so I really wouldn’t know the smaller towns around Cork at all myself.

Really appreciate your insight 😊

No problem at all,

theres a good bit happening in the town that’ll hopefully improve it further. Was looking at those houses myself but have come too soon after buying our home a few years ago.

best of luck with it. There’s a few Dubs floating around the place so you won’t be alone 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jenbelle

Morning folks.

Myself and my partner have a deposit down on Phase 2 of Curragh Ard.

We're from the area and it's a lovely spot - quiet and lots of work being put into the town (new school, new roads, etc - also, check out Yumm cafe on instagram, its fab!!). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out!

Query from my side - we have a booking deposit down since June 2021, still no contracts - have you had any success with it? Waiting patiently!!

J

Thanks Jenbelle, have sent you a private message!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭marty whelan

From town beside it, it's rural, and as you know, 45/50 mins from Cork,but grand place to live if travel doesn't bother you. Very little scumbag element.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 UpCork81

Hi folks, apologies for jumping on the thread, I hope it's ok, we also have a booking deposit down for the same estate, and now that contracts have been sent we were wondering if anybody else is having issues with the stage payments element as our bank is not too pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benjicaddy

Hi, Would anyone know the completion date for phase 1 Curragh ard?😊

Hi Benji,

was just there on the weekend.

no firm date for completion but most houses seem to be about 4 weeks of solid work away from being finished.

Hi everyone,

just opening this chat again!

how did everyone get on with this?

how did it work mortgage wise?

we’re looking at getting the last house in phase 3

Advertisement