Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth rod installation

Options
  • 04-08-2021 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I want to drive a copper earth rod for a radio shack but don't have the equipment to do it. Would an electrician do this as a service? Would they carry equipment for this normally? Would be interested to know how much it might cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes an electrician will be able to drive an earth rod, but to be honest there isn't much to it. I believe we normally use galvanized earth rods here not copper. They use copper in the north.

Take a long sds bit, drill into the ground and then tap the earth rod into the hole.

Is it just for an ammeter radio setup? You could also dig a small trench, strip back some 6 or 10sq copper cable and drop it into the trench. That would give a decent earth connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Copper-clad steel in the north - not solid copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mikeyb

sorry for the delay. Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I have used copper a couple of times before, commercial buildings. I just thought the galvanised was due to cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Our friend, Mr Ward in the UK, tested out a ConduDisc in place of a rod (see other videos of his on that topic) and he was happy enough with it. Not sure about their availability here or their ease of deployment in all circumstances, but another option all of the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement