Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with my hedges

Options
  • 04-08-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

New to gardening and don't really know where to start to with an issue I am having with my hedging. I have viburnum and Portuguese laurel hedging, and both seem to be suffering from powdery mildew, or possibly something else. Dogwood in the garden is also suffering something similar.

I would be most grateful if someone could confirm this and provide some guidance on how I might deal with these? I have attached some photos of the laurel for reference, I will take some of the viburnum tomorrow.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

I went away for a week and came home to the same on my Portuguese Laurel hedge. I watered it well and fed it some liquid seaweed. I am hoping it will right itself. It was in great condition until very recently so I am assuming it didn't like the heatwave we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I've had powdery mildew on some garden plants before and it has just gone away on its own without doing anything to interfere with it. Looks similar to what is in the photos posted so I think you could just let it be and let the shrubs cope with it on their own. I'd think it very unlikely to cause them long term damage but if there are leaves or stems that die off you could trim them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a result of stress in the dry spell. The recent heavy rain will clear it.

Advertisement