Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 preseason thread

• 05-08-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭

With tonight being the HOF game in canton, Ohio between the steelers and cowboys I felt it was good to start a pre season thread so as not to clutter up the general banter thread. We will not see either Big Ben or Dak tonight but it’s nice to have live football back after a long off season.

We have three weeks of games unlike four the previous years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nothing to say about the HOF game expect the cowboys lost which won’t mean anything towards the season but it’s a fact they lost.

Watched the first quarter live and some very positive signs from the eagles. Some players need to improve though.

the eagles DL looks really good on one quarter I saw.

That field in Atlanta is hard to look at again this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You wait all off season for football to come back...then you realise why you don't watch preseason.

Why ? It’s live football and you get to see which teams have the worst in house production and commentary teams. That’s fun isn’t it ? The one thing I’m unhappy about is that no Justin Herbert in the pre season in front of fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's mainly because no one on the teams or coaches or even commentators care who wins. They are even doing interviews on air while the game is going on, not even paying attention.

I get its important for roster spots etc but as a spectacle or for fans its not really up to much. It's essentially glorified practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hard knocks injects a level of drama into preseason that live broadcasts of it just can't manage. Hiding behind the couch praying your star players don't get hurt is the main drama for me. Even if a player does well you're thinking "yeah but who is he up against?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Soldier Field is sold out today. I don't remember a pre-season game selling out before.

Everyone's desperate to see local kid Jon'Vea Johnson at WR.

Well there was no pre season last year and the chargers have already gone past their attendance average(it might not be the average but it’s some record) for their last twenty years in San Diego. American sports fans were most cases from seeing live sport last year so that’s why. I don’t think the linc was sold out on Thursday but there was a very healthy crowd there.

Well the city of Chicago is looking well in the sunshine.

• Advertisement

Even with the COVID break I'd say the attendance would have done well to break 30k if we hadn't drafted Fields. That pick reinvigorated the fanbase.

Three and out for the dolphins on their opening drive.

So a pair of three and outs to start the game.

Dolphins up by 3 after a FG.

Not a bad first quarter of football on a Saturday evening.

INT bears on the goal line after a nice drive by Tua and the dolphins.

We've been waiting all day to see Fields and in his first 3 plays there are 2 false starts. Such a Bears thing to do.

So Justin fields had his first series as a Chicago bear and the fans seemed pumped up about it. The offensive line didn’t look that great with penalties pushing them back.

Need to hold on to the ball Justin.

TD dolphins 13-0 near the end of the first half.

• Advertisement

Not a bad first half considering it’s pre season. Justin fields looked like a rookie. The dolphins looked by far the team more likely to score and they did.

Justin fields first TD a as an NFL QB was a rushing one.

Fields has arrived.

He is far more comfortable compared to first half.

Ill find out how nick foles did later on but if I was a bears fan I’d be fairly happy with that outing from Justin fields. He got more confident as he went along which is what you like to see.

I think you’re right @adrian522 about the pre season. I’ve tried to be enthusiastic about the pre season which is why I started this thread but I was trying to watch the broncos vs vikings game and it was like pulling teeth because the broncos went ahead early and never looked back.

i think I’ll stick the eagles games and a few others that sound interesting. Trevor Lawrence’s first game which is just starting is one but that game tonight was painful and boring.

Interesting first series as an NFL QB for Trevor Lawrence. A sack on his first snap but he recovered well and got a bit of a drive going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I tried to care about preseason in the past (even set up a thread like this one) but when they're interviewing players while play is going on, you know there's not much to it in itself, unless you're keeping an eye on particular players (for me today aside from fields I wanted to see ogletree. But I also wanted to see mayo bate Dublin so I didn't stick with it)

I think you can watch new players, especially rookie QB's and your own teams games but aside from that its hard to get too worked up. Looking forward to Trey Lance though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Very happy with Lance's first game last night. Despite practically not playing in 18 months, multiple drops by WRs, being behind an absolute mess of a backup OL, and Kyle barely calling anything to play to his strengths he still showed exactly what I hoped to elevate the team beyond what it has had at QB during the Shanahan era. Only the first preseason game and a lot of areas for him to work on, didn't look comfortable at all during 2 minute drill, but that performance very much backed the strong reports from camp. Jimmy looked decent too so should be good either way to start the season.

I suspect all teams that drafted a QB in the first will end the weekend happy - no complete meltdowns and each QB seemed to show up as billed regarding both their strengths and areas to improve.

Teams must cut their rosters down to 88(I think) by 9pm tonight and I’ve only heard of one player being but and it’s Tim tebow for the jags.

They need to be down to 85 by yesterday, yeah Tebow the most high profile, 49ers cut Josh Rosen.

Advertisement