Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Role Change & requirement to reapply

Options
  • 05-08-2021 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Couldn't see the option to post anonymous on the new platform so reregistered for this (Mods, if this isn't allowed, let me know)

Company I work for had a number of voluntary redundancies early this year (for which I applied and got refused). Now, my department is in the process of merging with another and as part of this they've 'realigned' roles. Management & HR advised us of the new role titles and that we would need to express an interest in the new roles. When HR were asked what happens if we don't express an interest in one of the new roles, they advised that it's not an option to not apply for a new role. I've a permanent contract for my current role.

What exactly are my options here? It seems like they've made my role redundant but don't want to pay redundancy - but appreciate any advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Hmmm…. I know when redundancies are made, the company has to be seen to do everything to try and retain the employee, If there are any other vacancies. I have had this in a previous company where a department were made redundant but were allowed to apply for other roles, but not forced. Those who did not or who were unsuccessful were paid out their redundancies. I think it’s the mandatory element of application that would have me wondering also OP. Maybe good to get some legal advise in advance of any application etc so that you know what the framework is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if they don't want to pay the redundancy, they sure won't want to continue paying your salary indefinitely....

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Redundancy, continued employment, ????

Short of putting a gun to your head, they can't actually make you do anything. But if you don't express an interest in any of the positions, then you leave it up to them to decide and you may just end up in a role you don't like that is still within the terms of your contract, get managed out or redundancy, there is know way of telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ihaveaworkproblem

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on leaving anyway, but it would be nice to leave with a payoff than with nothing at all so if I can get a redundancy payment I'll take it. I'll contact the WRC & maybe FLAC tomorrow and get their steer on it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP are the pay and conditions the same as your previous role. Normally a company can reassign you to a different work area on same terms and conditions. They may wish to reduce salary costs by using an application system

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement