Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2021 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

It’s very true that plan A for SA is muscle and magic, lose in one of those departments and there’s no plan B. But I think there’s a psychological element at play here too. Who is the coach? Nienaber is supposed to be yet Rassie is playing coach at every opportunity and now he’s out of the frame for a couple of weeks and the wheels come off. Stuff like Faff’s yellow today, right in front of the ref and the posts, that’s just guys losing their heads and points to deeper problems than just tactical conservatism. With the players they have they could play 2 or 3 different styles depending on the opposition and expect to win nearly all the time, if they were all on the same page. Taking nothing from Australia by the way, they were really fantastic this week and last. But this SA team could be looking at a horrible scenario of being blown apart by NZ now, a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

South Africa being hammered by NZ would be good for the game - would get South Africa re-thinking that brand of anti-rugby , that has been so successfull, but so many people I know are bored with it, and questioning modern professional rugby.

Yeah, everyone’s been giving out shite about SA’s boring and cynical rugby for ages but up until now it’s been working pretty well for them. It reminds me of late Joe when everyone was a critic as the wheels came off and opposition teams figured Ireland out. Swings and roundabouts.

Without Du Toit and Kolbe SA are diminished and those two and Kolise’s leadership have kept them a head above everyone for a while. Kolise has been mia in the Aus games but I’m still surprised by how rudderless and incoherent they’ve been, which I think has to do with the coaching mess rather than the team.

Ah, I’m just concerned that a double pasting against NZ and then SA are back into their shell and we are back to a situation where NZ are out on their own in the SH. Now that’s a bad situation for world rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Think its important to change the style of rugby, as said everyone I know is giving out about the anti-rugby played by South Africa, there is always a challenger to NZ , and in fairness they play rugby that is positive and will encourage others to play and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't think Kolisi is a good captain at the moment. Look at Satruday, it looked like Etsebeth was doing more of the talking with the referee than Kolisi. I believe I am right in remembering that other players were warned not to talk to the referee and it should be the captain that communicates with him. This didn't seem to mean Kolisi was talking with the referee any more than before. I think you can spot the senior players who talks on the field, along with Kolisi, but he seems to do the least of the talking.

I know he feigned upset about the way he was talked to by the referee after the first test, but he doesn't seem to communicate that well on the field with the referee. I got the feeling he was told he was being disrespected and brought it up during the Lions series. You don't come out at the end of a highly charged match you just lost and say everything is fine, then a few days later decide you were upset about it all all along. Smacks of being told what he should be upset about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Par for the course though for that management/leadership team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The simplicity of tactics to beat SA is shown in less than 3 minutes by NZ.

Keep the ball alive and keep the tempo high.

Gatland got it all wrong.

Came to see if anyone else is watching... are we watching the same game? SA 11 - 7 up?

Yep, SA dragging it into a slug fest at times and NZ trying to keep it open.

Over 80 minutes it will go to NZ but SA are having success at the breakdown and forcing Nz into some penalties and mistakes that have kept them in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Jacovs

As bad as SA's defence has been in open play, its been great on their try line.

NZ not even close to their best, lots of errors. Still 30 minutes to step it up.

• Advertisement

15 errors by NZ.

Some forced, some unforced.

SA lineout is top class.

If NZ dont clean up their act this could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

NZ are living off Luke Pearces’ extremely fussy penalties against SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Jacovs

**** sake Faf, on the counter and kicks the ball away pointlessly. Game opening up now last 5 minutes. End to end stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The All Black almost beat the All Blacks there. You cannot pretend that living off the other teams mistakes and having no plan other than kicking it high and only visiting the other teams 22 twice over 80 minutes is something to be proud of.

But this result will make people in SA happy, they all thought it would be 30 points between the teams. It will keep Nienaber in the job and they will continue plodding along. Same old, same old really.

I will just point out, Pollard cannot pass the ball and the wings do not get a chance other than from high kicks. It's a shame that exciting players are being subdued by the game plan and actually not seeing a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

South africa box kicking on NZs 22 when losing the game with a couple of minutes to go was utterly ridiculous. Delighted to see them lose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

That SBW and TJ interview was pure cringe

bro’

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

TJ didnt put Aaron under much pressure with that performance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Argentina's openside is a moron. Late, no arms hit when his side have been awarded a penalty 30 metres from Australia's posts.

NZ are a long way off the finished article but Faff kicking to Barrett all day made their lives a lot easier. In evidence today was how to beat both these teams.

• Advertisement

Death, taxes and Lavaninni getting a YC.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Outrageous pass for that SA try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Steyn and SA executing the 50:22 and LO maul to its max

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Australians are fans of Avatar I see.

Commentary is ridiculous at times.

Clear penalty, Steyn was already slowing down before the kick, he knew he was never charging that down... Can have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

This is a sensational game

i just hope it’s not settled by ridiculously soft penalty decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Ref just said you must go for an intercept with 2 hands.. What about all the intercepts that have been tipped on with one outstretched arm and regathered, should they have been called back?

Really don't like the commentary team. Moaning about the ref and then sounding delighted when a scuffle kicks off. Give it a f*cking rest with the blokey rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

Proper game of rugby. Game of the year. But the rules are getting ridiculous. ABS probably will squeeze it.

• Advertisement

Haha, what a last 5 minutes!!

Advertisement