Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam

• 07-08-2021 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

have an item on marketplace for sale. A lady messaged me and said she would take item (didnt haggle or ask for more info or pictures!) Said she couldnt collect herself as too far away but would send a courier to pick up and he would have the money to pay me. Then said there was an insurance charge for the courier to bring the money and she would include the insurance charge in the envelope with money for item but I need to pay the insurance charge to the courier. I assume I will get an email from the courier to pay the charge online. I'm thinking that if I pay the charge then they will have my card details and no one will collect the item. Am I being too suspicious?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

no it's a scam. Common one too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Scam. Tell her to pay the courier herself, if she refuses say ok, get all the card and personal details, ask for phone number, address, even ask her to send a copy of her ID and utility bill see what she says, then report to the gardai. That's the oldest trick in the book.

Also please ask her why she can't pay the courier, love to hear what she says. If you don't fancy the call, PM me and I'll gladly call her 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 5 featherbed

Thank you. You have both confirmed what I was thinking. Item susposed to be collected this afternoon. Will be interesting to see what happens. And you can be sure I wont be paying anyone for anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

she can pay the courier to pick the item up but cannot pay the courier the insurance charge to pick the item up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This thread has potential if the OP is up for trolling this scammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Wouldn't recommend trolling someone who has your name and address..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 patobrien12

Has anyone been getting the pre-recorded social protection phone calls? Getting them daily

• Registered Users Posts: 5 featherbed

yes on a regular basis. hang up immediatley and block number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Can't believe that it had to be asked if it was a scam.

Now I see why some scams work.

Advertisement