Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Call out Repair/Build for Tricycle

Options
  • 07-08-2021 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all!

Hope you're all doing well. I'm currently in the process of building my first tricycle. I would consider myself pretty handy, and have built out a lot of it by myself (see photo below)

I've managed to do a lot of the frame work on it we well as wheels and handle bars. Seat still needs a bit of thinkering to stay in place and support my back while moving.

As y'all could probably tell from the bike it's an adult tricycle because of my disabilities but there isn't anything unusual about it's construction or the like from a normal bike. Breaks are still breaks still get applied to the wheel in the same way etc.

However, I've hit my knowledge cap of working out the last few bits, specifically:

*The Chain.*

Which I can't get the pin through for love of WD40. So I'm not sure what you're meant to do there at all. No amount of wd40 or hammers or pliers is making it move.

*The Gears*

Which I'm struggling to thread through the gear systems. It just doesn't seem to want to go through or stay connected to the thread head.

*Breaks*

Unlike the image above this one it's not seperating from the black protective tubing to thread through to the handlebars to work the breaks.

__

So as you can tell I'm pretty stumped pretty close to the finish line.

What I'd love to know is if there are any places you know that do call outs to someone's house? I've contacted some local bike shops in Meath who have been...less than cooperative in trying to help. I'm also unable to drive to get the bike to a halfords or the like to get it fixed there, as the bike is quite big, it wouldn't be a regular taxi drive either.

So, if you have any recommendations on how to fix the issues or know people who do call outs to help people when things like this happens I'd really appreciate it.

Google has failed me as well as some other communities I've been to so I'm hoping someone has some ideas!

Thanks again!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Spokesman in Dublin is a mobile mechanic, and there are at least 2 more that I can't think of their names.

Not saying he could do it though, but he might

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

I can't help with the mobile call out, but can offer some advice.

Normally the pin in the chain would be put back in with a chainbreak tool.

The cable you're trying to use for the gears is, to the best of my knowledge, a brake cable. They are thicker than gear cables.

I'm not sure I understand the issues with the third picture, but normally you would thread from the brake levers down to the brakes, rather than the other way around. If your having issues with the outer housing (the black protective tubing) it might be down to how it was cut. Sometimes the cable can get squashed if you just use a pair of side cutters, and it needs to opened up with something round and pointy

Post edited by cletus on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where in meath are you?

as cletus mentioned, brake cables are thicker than gear cables - 1.5mm vs 1.2mm (obviously you want brake cables to be stronger!). if the cylinder of the 'anchor' is in perpendicular the the cable, it's almost certainly a brake cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 speciousstream9

Oh, thank you both (Cletus and magic). I'll be sure to check again in the morning. I had tested them in case I had gotten them confused initially but they didn't seem to fit when I had tried them.

I sent off an email to Spokesman,weepsie, so we'll see if they reply ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There's a mobile mechanic, who operates in and around Co. Meath. Gary Sheehan is his name. I can highly recommend him. His number is 0876364270. If there is anything, that you can't manage yourself, Gary will sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Most has been covered already but just in case you can't get a mobile mechanic out:

1. Get a tool like this: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-super-chain-breaker-tool/rp-prod2924 you sit the chain into it and then use the pin to force the chain pin in to the correct position.
    2. needs a gear cable, your local shop should have one. Do you have a picture of the type of gear system it is and we could post up a technical guide on how to thread it through correctly.
    3. As was said already, you thread from the brake handle down, the casing does look damaged but you might be able to open it up (stick a nail or similar up there and wriggle it around) or trim it if you have a decent cable snips. If you can put up a pic of the brake handles, it wold be easier to describe.

Also, love the trike, a friend in Wexford restored one recently and they are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

Hi,

Where in Meath are you?

MiCk B. :-)

Hi all!

Thanks so much for getting back to me everyone!

@Eamonnator, thank you so much! I'll drop him a message and see if he replies. I'll mention that someone from boards recommended you! Hopefully they'll know it's you ☺️

@CramCycle Sure thing! Here are the photos:

Hope this helps. As you can tell by the floor I've been trying various things 😂

@Mickb I'm out in Johnstown! ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@speciousstream9

Gary did a couple of jobs for me on Monday. I mentioned your predicament to him. He won't be surprised to hear from you. He's based quite close to you.

Amazing. I dropped him a text, so lets hope I hear back from him soon. Thank you so much for thinking of me.

• Advertisement

Just as an update. Had Gary over, absolutely lovely. Highly recommended if anyone needs a mechanic who is empathetic to disabilities and other challenges like ASD.

He was totally respectful of my ASD, and communicated in a way that was a preference to me.

So delighted.

He was honest about the condition of the bike and what to look out for and keep an eye on.

Thank you all so much for your help again.

Advertisement