Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harley Sportster test category

Options
  • 08-08-2021 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys, I'm looking to get my first full size bike, my first choice is a Harley Davidson sportster 883. I'm still on a provisional and I'm planning on taking the full test on whichever bike I buy. However according to the RSA list of approved motorbikes, not all 883 Harleys quite meet the requirements to receive an A licence rating. A vanilla XL883 need to be restricted down to A2 (which I'm not interested in doing) but the Low and Roadster models qualify as 'A', despite being mechanically almost the same machine.

How strict are they about this? If I turn up on a Harley Davidson sportster will they really ask to see what exact trim level it is and turn me away because it's a fraction under the power to weight ratio? Surely seeing it's a 900cc bike some common sense should apply...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Common sense is that you do the test on bike which meets the criteria. Do you want to risk not being able to do your test by bringing a bike which doesn't meet the criteria.

If you want to buy a bike which doesn't meet the A licence criteria do the test on a school bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

it may be a case of the reg plate flagging the bike as being A2, and there not being any interpretation by the tester

With the potential ballache of getting an A2, I would not risk it, and go with Del’s suggestion of a rental if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A lot of Harley's are A2, and the 883 comes in different versions: I know someone who sold an 883 (A2) to buy an 883R (A).

It's down to what your tax books says under Power. If it's above 35kW it's not A2, and should be ok, so look at that an bring it with you to show (them).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

But it could be above A2 And Below A. Being above 35kw means only that. Best talk to the RSA and get it on paper before committing to purchase.

Advertisement