Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Apple TV and Playstation

Options
  • 08-08-2021 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Does anyone else have an issue when streaming TV channels using the apple device with eir, it massively impact the broadband?

When the channels are on i get massive lag in PlayStation, tried port forwarding the PS5 but didnt have any joy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

And what is your broadband speeds to begin with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

Usually between 30-70 Mbs

I am not sure about TV , but some of the Apple TV shows/movies definitely going up to 25 mbs in bandwidth (4k + Atmos).

There is nothing left for your PS5

Is it a bad broadband in general you have or just a poor WiFi coverage in place where PS5 /Apple TV located?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Just a simple version of impact of streaming.

SD - 2-3 mbps

HD - 5 mbps

UHD - 10mbps

4k - 25mbps

(Note netflix and other paid streaming services do a better job of reduced bandwidth)

So if you are only getting 40 mbps speed some day and you run a 4k stream you only have 15mbps to spare, which won't be enough to really run a decent fps game.

Directly connecting PS5 rather tan using Wifi might help reduce any potential impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

Broaband is fine until the Eir app is turned on on th eapple device. Netflix, prime video, youtube etc. have no effect on it.

I have the PS5 cabled but through tp-link to the modem. its just a pain in the *** when herself is watching love island :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Did you ever fix this issue?

Im trying to fix my upload speed on my PS5 (Nat still set to Type 2 though)

Im getting 2-3mbps upload but 140mbps download, even though Ive opened up the TCP & UDP ports suggested by Sony. The issue could be due to the Eir F2000 modem or possibly Eir restricting Playstation traffic in general.

But this thread has me questioning apple tv too. I have the two Apple tv boxes on standby but not running when I do my PS5 speed tests.

Advertisement