Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Pentathlon - Olympics 2020/1

• 09-08-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭

I know with the new layout, a lot of the people usually here could be struggling to get back into this site (I know I am), but I thought this was worth at least trying to start a discussion on.

I'm sure most of you have seen it, but the standard of riding during the showjumping phase of the Pentathlon in the Olympics was a farce. The treatment of the horses by the riders, regardless of where the fault lie, was incredibly poor and it was clear that this was not an Olympic standard. With the riders and coaches blaming the horses, and the UIPM blaming the riders, I highly doubt we'll get a thorough investigation into what really went wrong. As far as I'm concerned, everyone was to blame for it.

There's been a lot of calls to get rid of the equestrian part. However, I think I'd like to see the height lowered to 1m and the riders judged on their equitation skills, rather than the result. A metre is still a decent height to be competitive, but far more forgiving of mistakes (of which there are clearly a lot made). A decent jump rider should be able to get most horses safely around a metre track.

I know the short amount of time to get to know the horse is also a topic of discussion. I think if the track gets dropped to a metre, it's not that big of a deal. Riding a variety of horses will allow riders to be able to adjust quickly. If it stays at 1.20, then it has a bigger impact. I understand the argument that money factors in when it comes to taking their own horse, but then again, it does so in actual showjumping as well, with most riders riding horses that belong to other people.

Overall, something needs to change, and change fast. I've seen pony club riders ride a much, much better round than supposed Olympic athletes. If they choose to keep the current format (which is looks likely they will, unless there's a big enough backlash), then a far bigger emphasis needs to be put on training the showjumping round.

Advertisement