Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree for patio near house

Options
  • 09-08-2021 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a patio area close to our house and usually have a table and umbrella there. I got an idea of taking up one of the paving stones and planting a tree that would function in place of the umbrella.

My question is what would be the best tree to form a umbrella type canopy, be attractive, but that would not cause any damage to house/foundations etc.

Tree would be about 2 metres from the house.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that 2 m from the house is too close for a tree that will get big enough to provide shade like an umbrella, and while a spreading tree can eventually create that kind of shade there will be a lot of tree above it. Anything that has a compact canopy is not likely to have a tall enough trunk to sit under. And having said all that, it would take a good few years to get to the stage where you could sit under it.

So all in all, I don't think you are going to be able to achieve what you are looking for. I have a lovely mature magnolia tree that is perfect for sitting under, the leaves provide dappled shade and it is remarkably bug-free. Many trees seem to gather midges under them. However it has probably been growing for 15 to 20 years and it would certainly not sit 2 m from a house without causing issues of light etc.

What you might consider is putting up some sort of simple wooden structure and growing a vigorous climber over it, honeysuckle, climbing rose, something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Thanks for the advice looksee.

I guess I was asking here was for that very reason, as I sorta had doubts about the distance etc.

I double checked the distance there, and it is actually 3 metres to the centre.

We are putting bup a pergula in another area where we plan to put some plants growing up that alright.

We have an Amelanchier Lamarckii that was gown as a standard and has the height but the actual leafy part of the tree is small and has never really branched out much.....I thought something like that may suit, but maybe I should just stick with the umbrella!

Advertisement