Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sim Card to Router

• 09-08-2021 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me out here.i have a dongle with a sim card inserted that is for mobile broadband and i use it at home for my internet.Its serves a purpose but sometimes when i watch live tv (sport) on my android box the stream freezes for a while.

Now im wondering if i bought a router that i could insert the sim into would this help resolve the issue of the stream freezing?my mother has the same box with proper wifi and she has a cable running from the router to the android box and the stream is perfect.

So is it possible for me to buy a router and insert the sim and perhaps run a cable to my android box and solve the freezing issue?Hope that made sense and TIA for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The advantage of some router's is the lan connection capability, basically a Cat 5/6 cable can be connected directly to an android Box, obviously check box has this but most do. The router will continue to offer wireless connectivity for other devices. A direct lan connection tend to make the single more stable for streaming but obviously you'd need to have a decent signal to start with but most streaming devices don't need very strong signal, just stability and the cable connection does this, Routers normally come with the cable required.

When purchasing a router, make sure its sim free (unlocked), amazon etc a good place to look. If you purchase direct from network, they are generally locked.

So yes, I'd certainly consider a router, Hauwei being the brand most commonly available, one that's 4g.

Finally, I'm assuming your sim card newish, just double check it is a Micro version or can be snapped into one, micro is normal size for 4g router's. You mentioned Dongle , anf they are normally full size. Good look

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TeePeeLink

s it possible to just unlock a company voda/virgin Huawei broadband line in Router to take an LTE sim?

or is this type of home line in box -a broadband use only wired router and not able to insert any sim inside these devices as a mobile router?

Advertisement