Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnout - Doctor Sign Off

Options
  • 09-08-2021 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So, I feel like I am completely burnt out from work. It has been like this for months.

The last 20/21 months (even pre-Covid) have for the most part been crazy busy in work. It is has always been busy but got worse just before Covid and continued to get worse. My overtime must have been on average over 12 months at 25% a week minimum, which is not sustainable

The last couple of months have actually not been too bad but I know it will get worse again - but I still feel exhausted mentally more than physically.

I work in a large multinational, I worked my socks off the last couple of years chasing an overdue promotion (position based org. so need someone ahead of you to leave before you can move up). I did not want to show any signs of weakness so continued to work long & hard to finally get my promotion when a position came up.

I actually for the most part enjoy what I am doing, there are probably a couple of people I need to interract with & a couple of awful tasks/processes that are not enjoyable, but overall I like what I do and I know I am good at it.

However, I have had enough of the role so I need to get out. Not sure if possible to move elsewhere in the company, need to wait a while after promotion, plus not many roles in my location, alot of them done in offshore cheaper locations. Also, feel like if I went on sick leave it would be a black mark against me & make it harder to move internally.

Why do I think I am burnt out?

I dont get enough sleep, I wake up thinking about work regularly. I go on holidays for a week and the first couple of days I am trying to unwind from work & the last couple of days I am thinking about work again. Doesnt feel like a holiday.

I am beginning to lack motivation in my role, I have become cynical, more negative and have less patience for some of the stupidity I have to deal with in the role. I find myself becoming more frustrated in the role.

I dont feel I am as efficient - but this I feel is due to me being mentally & physically tired.

Come the weekend I often just want to chill as I am wrecked from the working week.

As I alluded to already, my working hours have improved alot in the last couple of months but while that is good, I feel like I am still burnt-out and need time off to recover.

I have tried looking outside for other jobs, but sometimes I am too busy to look or if I got an interview I might not have enough time to prep.

I had an interview two weeks back but the two nights before the interview I was working till 10pm at night both nights - little time to even prepare.

I know if I went into a new job, where you need to be sharp and on the ball the first couple of months, I would lack the energy needed as I am drained.

I feel like I need a month off, completely unwind, catch up on sleep, relax, start to properly put some time & effort into looking for a new job. 1 or 2 weeks is not enough.

Dont worry about work, you are only a number. If I drop dead tomorrow they will replace me in a week. Mind yourself.

I am considering going to the doctor and seeing will they sign me off for a month or so.

Will a doctor to this for a month or do it on a weekly basis?

Can the doctor just say I am unfit for work?

What would I say to HR/my boss? Tell them the doctor said I am burnt out & need time off?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are you asking is if your Dr can sign you off for a rest/holiday?

if you worked that much overtime, you must have a lot of annual leave to take, use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Do you have enough leave to pencil in two weeks off ? I even find myself with a week by the time you wind down you are preparing to go back.

Outside of that burnout is a real thing and it sounds like its impacting your mood and ability to function outside of work.

Can i ask do you try and get some exercise most days outside ? Alot of people do find that blocking some time out of your day to go for a proper walk outside, during the day or evening really helps with the mood and its almost a bit of a reset switch.

With regards to the weekends , maybe start by setting a goal next weekend for something useful you are going to do with your time. It may be pay a visit to the nearest large park for a walk, or maybe take a trip somewhere in Ireland you have never been before but want to visit.

I thing a doctor would help sign you out for a break , but to me that would be the final option , if you have leave for 2 weeks use it and carve out some time for yourself each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 UnregisteredBurnOut

I have a few days left for annual leave, get 20 days. I have 5 days left this year.

The problem is I take time off, nobody does my work when I am off and I work crazy hours the week leading up to going away and the same crazy hours when I come back from a week off.

During Covid I got out for a walk in the morning, lately I have started to go to the gym & that has helped.

However, I think the issue is more long term in that, the crazy last 20 months of my workload has completely caught up on me (probably caught up on me 4/5 months ago) & I dont see a way out of this feeling of exhaustion, burnout, negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

It sounds you need a Holiday, which is quite normal... Don't know why you would go the calling in sick route to achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not a nice situation. Hopefully you can extract yourself from it soon.

Oftentimes the more work you do the more tasks you are assigned. You might need to learn how to say no. I would try to focus on working my contracted hours and no more. If the work can't be completed during that time there is a need for additional resources in your section/team.

Work to live. Don't live to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 UnregisteredBurnOut

This article hits the nail on the head for exactly how I feel & everything I have experienced.

I will go to my doctor, tell them how I feel, the pressure, long hours I have been under due to insane workload and see what the doctor says to do.

@The poster who mentioned needing to say No when it comes to extra demands etc. i agree fully but I was chasing promotion, it was made pretty clear I needed to be working at the level above, doing additional tasks before even considering getting a promotion. So vicious circle I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Senior

As someone who has been in your place before, I have no hesitation advising you to get signed off. I suggest take 2 weeks plus though as otherwise the work will be waiting for you to return.

When you get back, you will need to make drastic changes. If you are willing to work crazy hours to get tasks done, no one is going to stop you. Learn to push back. Say you are finishing on time. That you have enough to do as it is. From my experience too, those who know how to assertively do this, get a lot more respect in the office environment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've been there also. You realize how bad it is until you leave that environment, the difference as you destress is incredible.

Advertisement