Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Price of Retro Games

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shill bidding and market manipulation is the only thing they deny. The shill bidding is a stretch but the video points this out but I think that the history of the companies employees with regards to shill bidding is very damning.

Market manipulation on the other hand is kind of a nebulous thing to prove but I think the video pretty much says all there is to say about that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

eBay is the only way to really get proper cash for anything you have. Adverts is still just a car boot sale in comparison really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

@johnny_ultimate wrote:

"Here is Heritage Auctions' response, in the interests of balance. Unsurprisingly, they refute it. https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/report-alleges-auction-and-grading-fraud-is-behind-recent-surge-in-retro-game-prices/"

From the above article, for all the claims that Jobst did not contact them prior to publishing his video/article, the following tweet would seem to disabuse those particular claims;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If I was him I wouldn't take up their offer for a tour of the business. With their shady past it would be the same as being a Saudi journalistic critic taking a trip to a Turkish embassy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Enjoyable video interviewing Karl Jobst on his video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5kemY-Sjsk

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Oh, it'd be spun mercilessly for PR. As transparent as it may be, why give them the opportunity to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I've seen a whole heap of stuff recently tearing every almost ever aspect of the price increase apart.

Crazy times.

If you ask me I think a lot it's just newer people with too much money. Im in a few Facebook collecting groups, one UK based Sega one, so many middle aged people there who only started a couple of years ago dropping £1000 on the likes of Death and Return of Superman and Pirates of Dark water.

I really do wonder what's going to happen when the bubble bursts and there's another huge recession. Because I do think a big one is coming. Looking way beyond retro games, when the sh1t hits the fan are these people still going to hold onto their £1000 game investment or will they sell it for a loss?

Whatever the case I'm cracking I sold a large chunk of my rarer mega drive games now. Although the pinballs they have been replaced with are also going insane in prices. Ones that were usuall 1500-2000 are now being sold for around 3000 in some cases

Advertisement