Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost of Service while changing Fiber BB Providers

Options
  • 10-08-2021 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Have I just been really unlucky or is it normal to be without broadband for a couple of days when switching from Eir to Vodafone?

Engineering came yesterday, said when he left it will take an hour or so for your BB to start working again, spoke with VF support this morning and hopefully it will be working in 1-2 days time and from the way VF support are talking, this is perfectly normal and it can take up to 5 days.

I do think this issue might be I never gave them the UAN (never asked for it) and I phoned 3 times before the install saying I didn't give a UAN and do they not need it, each time they said it was fine.

Comments

UANs are for copper lines are they not? Not relevent to Fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Ah maybe that could be true, but the UAN is on the fiber BB bill and i assume they need some unique identifier, but maybe the Eircode has replaced that now

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You need a UAN to switch (unless you were switching from open eir FTTH to SIRO FTTH). If they told you you don't need one, they buggered the process up from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I think this is it exactly, no one I spoke to in VF had any clue how the process worked so just kept telling me it'll all be fine and they don't need it even when I was wanting to give it to them. Rubbish customer service but hopefully will save someone in the future, if they don't ask for the UAN then there is a problem (they think you are a new customer or have put you through as a new customer by mistake), immediately cancel the order and reorder again. Expensive less when you have to work from home due to covid

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The other gotcha you need to be aware of is that without the UAN, your eir service won't be cancelled in the process, so you need to call eir to cancel yourself or you'll keep getting billed.

There are supposed to be processes in place to prevent screwups like this, but they're clearly not working.

• Advertisement
Advertisement