Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PureTelecom

Options
  • 10-08-2021 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

What is the general opinion of the PureTelecom service?

I am considering a move to them ...... they appear to have very good prices, so if their service is good I would move to them.

€40 per month for 1Gb/s ...... do you get close to the 1Gb/s at all times?

Thank you for any info posted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

We switched to Pure Telecom in February. I don't test the speed but it's reliable and quick enough for our needs. No complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I would also like to know. I wanted to move from Virgin to Pure or others, contacted, but Pure, Eir and even Sky offer only a 25Gbps speeds in my area in Lucan, Co. Dublin. So I had to stay with Virgin. Paying 69 Euro for the broadband only for up to 500Gbps speed while actually getting only 300Gbps as the maximum ever measured 1 metre away from the modem in the same room.

Ireland is crying for a better competition for mobile network and broadband services.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Delete

getting only 300Gbps as the maximum ever measured 1 metre away from the modem in the same room

If the speed measurement was done with a wired connection capable of 1Gb/s, and is repeatable, then it is something to take up with the provider.

Else look at the hardware used as it is likely something is incapable of faster speeds.

• Advertisement

getting only 300Gbps as

Why did I not spot that before?

😀 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sqdz

500Gbps, you work for the NASA ? You mean Mbps not Gbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just wondering if anybody has the same experience, we got pure telecom SIRO installed last week, and it's going great except that every night around 8:45/9pm the speeds drop totally, to about 0.45mbps according to Ookla, Netflix freezes etc.

Does this happen to anybody else? The Router log shows no problems at all do I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mrnumnuts

Yep, been having the same problem with Pure for nearly 2 weeks now. CS has been no help.

That's good to know it's not just us anyway, can be very frustrating. I did change the router to change IP addresses at 2-3am an hour ago so I will let you know tomorrow if that seems to help or not, I just saw it suggested on another thread!

• Advertisement

Is this happening with SIRO only or also with OpenEir connections?

We just have SIRO. Changing the IP address to update at 2am in the morn unfortuantely didn't help, speeds dropped back to 0.50mbps again now nearly the same timeframe as yesterday

How long do the speed drops last?

15mins; 30 mins; 1 hour; other?

I have just signed up with Pure (OpenEIR) for end of month connection so this is now a concern for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I won't be worried if you with OpenEir.

I am pretty sure it is backhaul issue, and Pure does have different for the OpenEir ( EIR's backhaul if you lucky or BTIreland if not ) .

It is Enet backhaul for SIRO if not mistaken.

Could be 15 mins or 45 minutes! I wouldn't worry with OpenEIR though, we had that before and no problems. Hopefully this one sorts itself out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Just for info ... I have been with Pure for many years now. Always found the service to be reliable, only had to call customer support for settings needed to change out my modem (bought newer model) and found then very helpful for setup.

I check out all options annually and have stayed with Pure, to date.

Thanks guys for the reposnses.

I hope those of you on SIRO get the problem sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

I rang Eir to cancel and move to PURE but Eir said Pure only do 500mb and I would have to return my router to eir. I saw on Bonkers ie that PURE do do the 1gb package. What make and type of router would Pure supply and can I just plug it in myself? I use my own router, an ASUS so was hoping switch would be done over the air ie no home visit required. I got an offer from EIR but I get 14 days cooling off and may still move.

Pure do 1GB FTTH for €40 per month in a 12 month contract. I think €75/month after that but a new contract for 12 months would see that reduced - negotiable apparently at the time. I guess it depends on how much they want to retain customers when the contract is out.

You can elect to receive a VOIP telephone service in addition at no extra cost.

Pure provides a Fritz!Box router I am told ...... have not yet received it ....... and yes they will provide log in details if you wish to use your own router.

The above is of course what I have been told in telephone conversations with Pure as well as in email, as I am due to be connected at the end of this month.

This is a pic of the confirmation email content:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

Zero interest in retaining customer once contract is up. Former customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

At €40 a month you're not profitable to them so it's not in their interests to retain you indefinitely at €40 a month.

Nevertheless €40 for a year is very attractive.

If they are prepared to negotiate at the end of contract then consideration can be given to their offer, and comparison made with others available at that time.

Connected today

First speedtest of ~850Mb/s this morning.

Later speed tests between 450Mb/s and 600Mb/s ........ I am not satisfied with that.

Upload speed is great at ~96Mb/s consistent.

I will see how it settles over the next week or so, and maybe at different times also.

First speedtest of ~850Mb/s this morning.

Later speed tests between 450Mb/s and 600Mb/s ........ I am not satisfied with that.

Why not ? You do realise , current capacity of fiber line about 3Gbps and it is shared between up to 30 premises?

You won't get 1Gbps 24/7 unless you live in low populated area .

To get 1Gbps Guaranteed speed you have to sign for corporate package and pay probably over a €1000 a month.

Ps. What is your backhaul , EIR or BT Ireland?

Easy to find out during the speedtest.net

It will show up your ISP name and as Pure virtual provider and doesn't own nothing at all ( not even DNS servers) it will show as EIR or BT IRELAND.

If it says EIR then it is max.posible speed for your line( you won’t get any better speeds with other providers) If its shows as BT Ireland then I would probably blame them , as they cheapest backhaul available , lots other ISP using them and congestion kicks in pretty regularly.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

can you specify Eir when you switch? Or if you have Eir already will it automatically be still Eir when you switch?

In most of the rural locations BT Ireland won’t be available, so it would be Eir. Otherwise it is BT Ireland as it is much cheaper for ISP.

NO, you can’t specify , I am afraid.

Why not satisfied? Simply because I was sold a 1Gb/s download connection ..... not an 'up to 1Gb/s' connection.

While I understand there will be times when the service is put under load and speed will drop for a short time, that is not what is happening so far. I do not expect 1Gb/s 24/7 and have no idea from where you got that.

So far with the exception of the initial test, all tests I have done have been around 500MB/s.

If that is what they can reliably provide then that is what they should sell.

The backhaul is apparently BT (IP addresses too?) ..... that is a PureTelecom decision ...... the fibre is OpenEir.

If they do anything about the connection speed I will post back here.

This done at 00:50 approximately despite the time shown on the pic

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12082622365.png

Well , you could ask them to downgrade the package to 500 mbps ( you’ll loose 100 mbps upload of course) and save yourself some money OR if you REALLY NEED higher speeds ,You could switch to different ISP , only Eir will do better speeds though . No SKY , Voda , Digiweb , Airwire etc.

Post edited by alec76 on

I did some more tests.

It seems the problem is not PureTelecom at all! or at least so it seems.

I was using my existing router for which I paid dearly - a Fritz!Box 7590 - and that is giving d/load speeds maxing out at ~600 Mb/s at times, and generally in the 400 to 600 range.

I temporarily used the PureTelecom supplied 7530 and immediately the speedtests were up around 900Mb/s.

The 7590 should be easily capable of 1Gb/s so at this time I have no idea what is wrong.

I have a huge number of settings for telephony and servers and so on built up over the couple of years, some of which will not transfer to the 7530 unfortunately.

I will have to figure out how best to use both ...... the 7530 for internet access and the 7590 for all the other stuff.

I am not well pleased!

• Advertisement

They both support MESH , good few options available, at least one router could be set as satellite for Mesh ( make sure you connect them with Ethernet cable , not with the wireless backhaul)

7590 definitely support 1gigabits , no problems there , but if you start to use parental control/hardware firewall/etc its dramatically decrease performance of the router. You wouldn't notice it until 1gigabit package.

Easy to find out , do firmware settings backup , then do factory reset of 7590 and see how it is performes with out servers etc .

Post edited by alec76 on

Advertisement