Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't understand Eric Donovan's logic on not wanting Katie Taylor v Kellie Harrington to fight

Options
  • 10-08-2021 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭

"Some have already been fantasy booking a professional bout between Harrington and fellow Olympic gold medalist, Katie Taylor.

It's a fight Eric Donovan - among others - would not like to see:

"There are a few people that have said to me already: 'a no brainer - Katie Taylor v Kellie Harrington, it has to happen.' They're talking about Croke Park, they are getting ahead of themselves," Donovan told OTB Sports.

"There is no doubt that that fight would sell out any arena. But for me, personally, I wouldn't like to see it. They are two absolutely wonderful human beings who have revolutionised women's boxing around the world and here in Ireland."

"Both have cemented their own legacy in their own right. I love the both of them and would hate to see them squaring up against each other"

--

Surely the logic if Harrington goes pro the idea is to try and make as much money as quickly as possible?

Or am I missing something?

Is it Donovan's way of saying he thinks Harrington would be not good enough to beat Taylor? Or vice versa?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Can't see it happening. Kellie would need 2-3 years to establish herself as a pro (assuming she goes pro) by which stage KT will be well past her best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Right I see. Makes sense from that point of view. i suppose neither of the girls have the 'Mayweather mentality'. I was envisaging a three fights in a series. Both women could do great out it financially etc.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 56,132 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I would give Kellie next to no chance against Katie in the pros. She hasn't the speed to be a threat. And not near the type strong brawler type that can trouble Katie. Kellie is a methodical single-double type puncher. More suited to the 3 rds amateur game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its NOT going to happen for various reasons but i can see why people would not want to see it,

Both are Irish sporting hero's and in a country that does not have many i don't think there is a need to pit them against each other ,

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭mjon3105

Will never happen. They never fought as Amateurs and will never fight at pros. Katie anyway is now much more advanced than Kellie and KH is also a "family loving" home bird and NOT suited to being away from home for weeks on end before any pro fight. She loves her hospital work, family and partner and my view is that after considering ALL the promotional offers she can get in Ireland she will remain Amateur and possibly defend her Olympic title in Paris 2024. That is still 3 years away and meantime let's not forget Amy Broadhurst. Let's enjoy and treasure both Katie & Kellie and I entirely agree with Eric Donovan. Eric has a podcast on Spotify with Irish Sun journalist Kevin Byrne, in which you can hear much more from Eric and Kevin on this subject. ( therefore agree with WalshB also)

Podcast Link:

Spotify – Trailblazers - Kellie Harrington and Katie Taylor - The Rocky Road | Podcast on Spotify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

We spent 800+ years fighting the English, as with Brexit, we are not done yet, so lets not be fighting each other

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think people would love to see it as a one off - less likely to happen with Kellie staying amateur for the foreseeable.

Advertisement