Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immortalising Data

Options
  • 11-08-2021 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

While I fully realise that we don't live forever, many of us will live for a few more decades at least. What I would like to know is what is or what could be the most secure method of immortalising our most treasured files?

Before I go on, I do have everything backed up in the cloud, but cloud storage is not a 100% guarantee. They have data loss too, and chances are - they won't be around in a few decades time. I would preferably like something physical that could be stored away in a safe and forgotten about with peace of mind that it will always be there when I need it.

Back in the 90s, I remember some scepticism about CDs and how well they would last in the long term. Remember bringing your optical disk into the shop to have it "cleaned" for a fee? They would spray some chemical on it and put it in a glorified lettuce dryer and spin it around to "remove the scratches"

Up to that point floppy disks were the business. Recently at work we had to pull up some old floppy disks from the 90s and amazingly they still held the data perfectly. Can we expect the same from HDDs or solid state drives? Only time will tell.

Another thing that got me thinking was reading an article about how to keep your private crypto key safe. The best method appears to be hammering your code into a piece of steel so in the event of, god forbid, your house burning down you would still have it.

So what is the steel hammering equivalent to keeping your most treasured few GB safe to see us out? Floppy disks? CDs? HDDs? Some kind of high capacity Vinyl storage?

Best to have this discussion now before it's too late...

Comments

Advertisement