Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious illness benefit - Yay or Nay

• 11-08-2021 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,072 ✭✭✭

We are in the process of arranging mortgage protection currently and are pondering whether to include the SIB. We have a quote for the MP from Zurich and to add on 25% SIB it more than doubles our premium (€53 - over €110 per month). Im betwixt and between including it. On one hand it makes sense to have it, just in case but on the other hand, my employer pay full sick pay so its potentially over €700 a year that could be used elsewhere such as car insurance. Anyone any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get a proper financial assessment done.

p.s. I'd always be inclined give a lender the minimum to satisfy their requirements and keep any personal cover away from them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Serious illness cover should be part of your over all financial plans, not something that should be consider stand alone. Your employer's sick pay would cover you in the normal situation and on the assumption that you'd be returning to work, but what happens if you are unable to return to work? And in such an event would the state benefits be sufficient or would you like or need to spend extra money on say adapting your home etc., how would your family cope and so on.

So may be start with an over all plan and see if it fits in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

HAving worked in the insurance industry it is rare that a successful serious illness claim is approved.

Ive seen refusals right up to, things like you will only dies in 5 years so we arent paying out as 3 years is the limit.

Well I haven’t worked in the retail side, but I have worked for one of the major reinsurance companies in Europe, one that many of the Irish companies reinsurance these types of risk with and a good year was one in which we paid out less than 105% of the premiums!

And yes of course your claim will be denied if you don’t meet the requirements of the policy to expect otherwise is unrealistic. And it is why we suggest the OP consider it in terms of their overall financial planning rather than a single event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Agreed, there's so many conditions attached to it they cover themselves in almost every angle, something like loss of a limb will only be successful if the bulk of a limb is gone, a few fingers non issue, crazy what they get away with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd have issues with that statement.

I've seen statistics stating that over 90% of S.I. claims are paid. That doesn't tally at all with your claim.

Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense at all. Serious Illness cover requires a claimant to survive to be eligible to claim. It's only relevance to a death claim is where the S.I. cover is "accelerated" life cover. I've seen a case where both claims were paid. A lady had cancer and died from it some considerable time later.

p.s. ILAC alone paid out €47.1m in S.I. claims in 2020. A total of 701 cases.

All I will say if anyone is taking out serious illness cover that they would want to spend a lot of time looking through the exclusions first.

Has anyone here recommended anything other than considering the policy in anything other than a planned and considered manner?

Well I should hope they recommend reading the whole policy document VERY carefully.

Anyone here make any money from selling insurance or serious illness cover?

Only right that they should declare their interest too dint you think?

People generate profit out of sales. Without that any business will fail.

Commission disclosure is mandatory too. So their interest is declared.

Be careful making baseless claims and factually flawed ones too.

• Advertisement

Advertisement