Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin mother shares footage of offered council house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ElBastardo1

This person has put there story out there for sympathy, so she has to accept scrutiny of her story.

She has her Facebook open, looks like she was on a Foreign holiday last year to Spain or somewhere similar. Her son is wearing a Canada goose jacket valued at near 1000euro also is covered in expensive tattoos. She has her priorities all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Live by the facebook, die by the facebook :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

We need to get the violin out for this person. The sense of entitlement in this country is unreal. I have neighbours who got a free house from the County Council and they don't work while I bust my bollix of paying taxes to facilitate them. It's sickening.

She shouldn't be housed in a sh1t-hole but she is not making herself look good. Plain to see. She absolutely seems super self entitled, and to claim this isn't a reasonable conclusion is woefully obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Aoife, get your butt down here and claim your prize!

Nice tattoos, didnt know you could claim for them too

Sick of reading this crap. Any person like this should be housed in the back arse of no-where in a cheap trailer style home.

Might teach them to keep their legs closed and not have three kids with three different fathers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

More “we the taxpayer” shyte! No, you don’t fund anything. Income tax is deducted at source, and the same amount of income tax would be taken regardless of what it is used for funding. You don’t have a choice in the matter so stop pretending like anyone is dependent upon your generosity. You have an obligation to pay tax. That’s it, end of. What Government does with the revenue it receives from taxation is nothing to do with you or anyone else as an individual. If you don’t like where Government are spending revenue, you know what to do - vote for parties which support your ideas, and good luck with that, because I’m not aware of any that currently could be arsed.

I’ll make you a deal though - we can say that the amount of tax which is deducted at source from MY income, goes to fund this woman’s lifestyle and that of her four children, and the tax which is deducted at source from YOUR income… I dunno, can go to fund Leo’s makeup or something, or the other costly vanity project that is the children’s hospital, €15m set aside just to challenge claims for entitlements of €450m by the developer as the cost of the hospital before they’re even at the half-way point is reaching €2Bn, a fcuking bizarre money racket and waste of public funds -

Did she submit her financial records to you for the last 13 years of her life? Give you detailed accounts of where her income came from? How do you know she has never had a job? Or her partner? How do you know the details of what benefits she is or is not receiving?

The fact is you don't.

You really know nothing all about her life or her finances either now or for the last 13 years, and this thread is just another typical boards pile on with people making it up as they go along.

A basic sense of decency.

Sadly, this is what is missing from Boards.

I'm out before I lose mine.

🤣 The person is playing the system.🤣

The type of person who want's everything for nothing and feels there entitled to it.

Its disgusting when many people who work for a living are paying over a third of their income on rent when they can't get a mortgage and this cretin pops out a couple of kids and gets everything for free.

Every town and village has them, people who pop out a couple of kids from different fathers and never worked a day in their and never intend on working.

• Advertisement

Was in my cousins house a few weeks ago dropping off a cabinet my dad made for her.

3 kids and herself got the house off the council in 2015 I think it was.

She has never worked a day in her life.

Boyfriend moved in straight after she got the house.

So when I was bringing the cabinet in I said her landscaped garden was lovely, who did that for you. The council did it but she wasnt happy with some of it so got other landscapers in to do a gazebo and a concrete BBQ pit and a little hobbit house thingy. BBQ itself in the middle is at least €500. I know because I was looking at one and thought i couldnt afford it. never mind the garden to surround it.

Then she shows me her patio furniture and tells me it cost €1500 but was a bargain because it was reduced from €2000. My patio set is a little table and 2 chairs that cost €100.

As I was leaving I was already wondering what im doing wrong and the boyfriend ricks up in a 182 Audi.

They are getting married next year and are going to Holland to pick the engagement ring.

At least I can see what the tax I pay is spent on I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Probably a decent enough idea, would definitely be a deterrent for people getting knocked up and planning for their forever home if they knew their forever home wasn't 5 minutes from mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

If she's looking for more than she's entitled to and expecting sympathy fair enough.

There isn't as much hype or effort put into a politician making false expense claims. These are well paid people in authority, far worse than this weeks wan in the papers. And people wonder where these wans get the cheek or ability?

Talk to your politicians and hold them to account. Blaming a horse for bolting is all that's going on here.

Never change. You are the greatest troll this site has ever known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yet here you are. Reading about, and commenting on, the same story on boards.ie - a social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ElBastardo1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i know, because if it was the case, then the children wouldn't be with her.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

It's not fair enough though. Deflecting the responsibility from her - that's certainly going to help give her such an attitude.

There is always uproar over politicians' expenditure/salaries/perks. And people are critical of the behaviour of both politicians and people who are overly self entitled. Doesn't have to be just one or the other.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The state invests more in those people than the average ordinary person. By the time her kids are adults, the state will have invested in paying most, if not all, of their housing expense up to that point. To give them a "fair" start in life and step in where their parents absolved themselves or responsibility. So they have a fair headstart on the "ordinary" person at that point .... and that's assuming that the kid doesn't continue down the same path ....

Now you can argue that the state invests in other things that these people may not take advantage of, but that is their choice. In terms of direct investment, she would receive a hell of a lot more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Can't believe you are creeping around Boards, commenting on peoples posts. Creepy

Seeing what's before one's eyes doesn't mean lacking decency.

I am decent. I like living in a country where state supports are provided to those who need them - that's how society should be, in my opinion. And I don't think anyone, least of all children, should be housed in a dump of a place.

What's not decent though is an extremely inflated sense of entitlement - thinking one is more deserving than others, and putting that into practice. If someone has a baby young and the father isn't helping and she can't afford childcare or private rented accommodation, and needs to go on the housing list, totally fair enough. But having three more children while awaiting housing? And flashing cash? It's an affront. That's what's lacking in decency.

It's clear to see but some folk don't want to admit it.

the united states has welfare believe it or not, far from being any sort of a functioning system, and they do end up having to throw billions more at trying and failing to sort certain problems then if they had proper functioning systems in place, but they do have welfare and they do have parents with multiple children on welfare dispite the claims otherwise.

true accountability indeed.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

What's even more disgusting is when you get lazy grifters and spongers hoovering up resources that should be available to genuine cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Where did I "foghorn" anything? You asked a question. I answered your question. Now, because it's not the answer you wanted, you try to twist it.

I find the time two evenings a week for Foroige (7-9), pick litter every Saturday morning(9-10 or 10-11 depending), wash the football jerseys on a Saturday afternoon after the football (generally 4:30, or 5:30+ if playing away), I'll go up on Sunday morning around 9am (maybe 11/12 if I've had a rake of pints the night before) and stick them in the dryer, have a coffee and a read of the paper and pack them away once dried. And the town festival is on every August Bank Holiday weekend, so no work and no football.

You'd swear anything I've said takes days to do. I've a Monday to Friday job. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

The gas thing about my newly house council neighbours is that they don't go to work but could afford a 211 SUV and I saw them getting a delivery of a 65 inch new TV 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you're going to publish your story in a national newspaper, you're making it everybody's business.

I'm not sure why you're arguing that she's not?

Now, what she's making their business could be:

The state of the outside of social housing.

That she has 4 kids and no home to herself.

To put pressure to get something better for herself.

Because she wanted some fame.

Because she thought she'd get offered something else faster.

She didn't realize she was going to get comments from others about her business and genuinely wanted it kept private.

But yes, putting getting a social house provided by the government into the paper is making it everybody's else's business.

Now I'm sure you'll post a long winded whataboutery response, but I doubt you'll be able to successfully argue otherwise (try as you might).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

What’s going to happen when interest rates go up, we have more immigration and then inflation hits?

I would like to be dependent on the state then. There could be lean years on the way for all of us, working or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭mikethecop

lol , google tusla and children why dont you ,

you really have no idea but insist you do , why would any sane person do that ? ?

I have no doubt she was well aware of the fact that some people would take it upon themselves as the Guardians of Moral Authority in society to dissect her personal and private life to the nth degree and wouldn’t be satisfied in themselves until she was completely humiliated and silenced, used as an example to anyone else who might get any ideas about speaking out about being treated like shìt, in the same way as happened with Margaret Cash before - anyone who dares get notions, draws the Spanish Inquisition upon themselves until they’re humiliated into submission.

Even months later people were still trying to start threads on Margaret Cash, but the lynch mob had moved on to their newest target already and the novelty had worn off getting thanks online for dreaming up all sorts of weird and sadistic scenarios about what should happen to “scum” like those people.

roads, schools, hospitals, etc.

certainly far from perfect and there is room for improvement in terms of education and health, but what more investment in us contributing to society do you want?

we are paying for her house because it's cheaper over all then alternative, out of whack with reality solutions.

• Advertisement

Ahh here, that’s a ridiculous way to calculate anything. The State will of course pay the housing expenses of any child or children, precisely because children have no means of generating income of their own!

The State provides for every child’s education too, is that considered an investment or an obligation seeing as most of the underclass if they don’t drop out in in secondary school are unable to fund their own third level education and have to apply for grant aid from the State?

I won’t argue that the State invests in anything that these underclass aren’t entitled to in the same way as everyone else, or ordinary people in society are entitled to the same as the underclass, if you want to put it in those terms. You won’t though because you know it’s as ridiculous as I do for people on here to be complaining about people who are taking advantage and feeling entitled, yet they would be entitled to the very same from the State were they in those circumstances.

Why wouldn’t you say to those people that it’s THEIR choice if they don’t want to avail of assistance from the State? You know well as I do it’s because not only is it fcuking degrading and shameful already, but there are always a tiny minority of people in society who are only waiting to leer and sneer at others less fortunate than themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Again, whataboutery, if she saw what happened to Margaret Cash, she decided to go ahead anyway knowing people would comment. Does she care that there's a thread about her on various news sites and boards?

Margaret still gets mentioned for her effective police station stunt and ending up in a house anyway, it worked for her, do we know if the embarrassment of not being able to provide for her own family outweighed that? Did it change behaviour?

Should we stop debating news because feelings?

Genuinely, is this a discussion topic you want to have and contribute further to (thus prolonging her "plight" in the public eye), or should these threads just get closed? I'm unsure of the angle here.

If you do want to continue, I suggest suspending the theatrical pearl clutching on the woman's behalf.

Hold on now, the state will not pay for the housing expenses of any child or children. If you are a working person and you have a couple of kids and need to move out of your one-bed apartment to a bigger house - well the state doesn't reimburse you the difference!

You blamed investment in these people. I pointed out that the state invests more in these people than average ordinary people. That is true. You cannot plausibly try to say otherwise. The state just don't get a good return on it. They have to do it.

However, it's nonsense to try to imply that they are the way they are because they received less "investment" from the State than others!

“Theatrical pearl clutching”? You’re having a fcuking laugh 😂 I’m not the individual who’s going out of their way to pore over every detail of her social media presence and cream myself at the mention of her spending a couple of hundred euro on a jacket, how DARE she?? 😂

Hold on a minute, you were trying to argue that the State would pay for these children’s housing costs until they are adults? Now you’re switching tack and arguing that the State won’t pay for an ordinary family to move to a bigger house? No, they won’t, and they won’t pay for an underclass family to move to a bigger house either, they’ll remain in the shìtty, unhealthy, cramped, crime infested shìthole area they have been assigned to. World of a feckin’ difference in comparisons there to be fair.

Ordinary people have greater access and opportunities to funding from the State than the underclass, that’s precisely where the underclass are where they are, and ordinary people who are cribbing about the way they’re so entitled would never trade places with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I said it's fair enough to criticise her if she's looking for more than her due. People whinging about people availing of their entitlements is foolish and directed at the wrong people.

No we don't. We'd a slew of councillors from FF/FG done for claiming expenses for two full day event on the same day in different parts of the country. This 'wan of the week' is suffering far worse on here.

Jimmy I am being civil. I near pissed myself at astrofool’s nonsense asking should we “stop debating news because feelings” and they going on like the online equivalent of an oul’ one gossiping over the fence to her neighbour about yer one 😁

When did we ever start debating news in this thread? The OP was started for a gossip, and it’s pretty much continuing in that same vein. I’m half expecting an ICA meeting to break out any minute with all the oul’ ones gossiping.

There’s a legitimate discussion to be had about councils failing to meet their own minimum standards of housing and accommodation, and the crapholes they expect people to live in, but some people here would only be too happy it appears to see the tenements and slums that blighted Dublin make a return, with all the social issues they came with that we never really got away from, but rather just pushed to the outskirts of the city.

You are the one switching.

I made a simple comment that the State invests more in these people than the average ordinary person. It was in response to your implication that the reason they are "disadvantaged" is due to receiving less investment from the State than others receive. The truth is that they receive more. They just waste it. Whether that be due to their environment or culture in their family and peers is irrelevant to the fact that they do receive it!!!

I mean the State is paying for these people to move to a house. The State has paid to keep them out of the literal gutter for the past 13 years. I don't know how your "logic" process works that you think the State isn't paying for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If your are desperate for a home, a good clean surely would do it

• Advertisement

Too busy getting up early in the morning for the long days work down the mines. 18 hours a day and weekends too. Not much time for cleaning.

The oul' coal dust is a terror on the nails too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

She shouldnt av too live in dat kip with her little angles. De bleedin neck of the gubbermint givvin her dat place. Y shouldnt she get a 5 bedroom masion in Foxrock. ill tell ya, when shin fein get in ta poweer she will get any house she likes. why do I think that? becus they told me that is what dey will do.

You pulled a bold statement out of your arse with no factual basis to it and no substantive evidence for it whatsoever. I didn’t say anything about disadvantaged, I’m referring to people on the waiting lists for housing, 68,000 of them, who are in all sorts of circumstances.

I was being fair in allowing you the difference between an underclass on housing waiting lists, and ordinary people on housing waiting lists, and there’s simply no way to calculate what you’re trying to calculate, unless you were aware of the circumstances of all 68,000 people on housing waiting lists, which I doubt you are.

That’s who we’re talking about here, is people on housing waiting lists, and no, the State doesn’t pay for anyone to move house, nor does the State pay to keep anyone out of the gutter that ordinary people aren’t also entitled to. I don’t know whether it’s that you’re comparing people who don’t own property with people who do or what it is, but it’s simply not true to suggest that the underclass receives the same or greater support from the State than ordinary people (and that’s before we even talk about subsidised childcare for Fuinneog and Oscailt 😁).

so you want to use the care system as a weapon against people who do not live up to your ideals or to your specifications.

taking children into care because their parents are on the housing list or are on welfare would collapse the care system altogether within a day.

so not only do you want these children to suffer because their mother is on the housing list, but you want children who are actually in serious danger and other extreme situations to suffer as well in the aim of using the care system as a weapon to placate to your ideals.

it won't teach them anything.

housing them in trailor style homes in the back arse of nowhere is also unviable for many reasons including cost, standards of accommodation etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not answer to the state or social media gossip hounds, answer for her own poor choices

" sins of the father " means that kids pay a price for the wrecklessness of parents, this is just in my view as it serves as a lesson to others

Nowadays there is an attitude that the feckless deserve the very same as the responsible, that's immoral and very bad for society

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niallo93

Margaret cash was similar, priorities all messed up, her 7 children in need , but she was wasting money on tanning beds and other crap while it was 20 degrees and sunny outside , if you work and provide for yourself what you do with your money is your own business , but when you're already getting plenty of handouts with subsidised accommodation and not happy with it demanding more its open season. Having 3 or 4 kids and demanding a house with a garden while spending 100s on a Canada goose jacket is taking the piss , pretty reckless as a parent to make yourself reliant on this shambles of a government to give you and your family a "forever home" and then actually being surprised when they make a balls of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

To get back to the original point of the thread.... That house / accommodation is an absolute kip in a kip of a place.

Leave the lovely Aoife and her ilk out of it for the moment.

There are plenty of people on the housing lists who are working, many of them working a damn sight harder than some of the 'get a job / get an education' geniuses on here. Take for instance a young couple where he's driving a van or working in a factory while she's working in the local Spar or Tesco or cleaning in the local old folks home. They work hard but their income is poor enough and certainly doesn't allow them to gather 20 or 30 grand deposit together and the banks are unlikely to give them a mortgage at this time anyway. Social housing is their only hope at this stage.

Do people like that deserve to end up being offered a complete kip such as the one in the video ? Could anyone honestly blame them for turning it down ?

Social housing should be fit for purpose and not just some sort of a roof over someones head. (IMO well spaced out mixed developments are also the way forward rather than concentrated 'deprived' areas )

The issues around individuals themselves such as the person in question here is a lot more complex than just pointing a finger at the individual themselves. Dublin, in particular, is into at least it's third generation of addicts for instance. Now, if your father/mother was an addict that never worked and their fathers / mothers were the same where the hell is the child supposed to get the inspiration or the inclination to study hard and get a job ? Most of us do so because of our own upbringing and guidance from parents and grandparents (and even then you get quite a few black sheep...) but a huge swathe of people don't have that. Telling the individual to 'get a job' in that scenario is akin to telling them to fly to the moon. It's something to keep in mind before attacking the individuals you see these stories about.

it is a frankly rubbish idea that wouldn't deter jot.

you know it, i know it, everyone knows it.

you are never going to stop some people from having multiple children, people need to just get over it, no amount of pounding key boards will change the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

imagine if her and her likes were living in a tribe in the rain forest or Africa. she wouldn't help hunt, skin the animals, help sow the crops etc she would just take what everyone else provides and complain that the food wasn't nice enough etc they would likely kick her into the river filled with crocs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement