Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDS GOLF SOCIETY WEST WATERFORD AUG. 21. 12 AM.

Options
  • 11-08-2021 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Well Golfers. Ye must be getting sick of the sight each other by now with the outings so close to each other.

Our next adventure brings us to West Waterford Golf Club in sunny Dungarvan Co. Waterford. This is another honest members club which is always presented in immaculate condition. Another treat for ye all to enjoy.

Teamer invites already gone out. Lots of no response so far but hopefully a strong take up after this post.

€35.00 for this one golfers. Revolut the usual preferred payment.

That's it for now. I will post LD and NP details closer to the date.

See ye soon.

BREAK 80.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looking forward to this one Captain. Was on my list for last year. One of Kevin Markham's top 10 hidden gems in Ireland, so can't wait to give it a try.

Also will be nice to see the course thats produced and was recently saved thanks to Seamus Power.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wasn't sure i was going to make this one, but its only 3hrs 20mins away this time, so that's easy :P

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Jesus Kiith you are showing the Cork lads up with the mileage your doing ..lol.. Raging Ill be missing this one as it was one I was looking forward too and with it been tight at the top only leaves Captains left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

I played there less than 2 weeks ago and can report that the course is in good condition. The trees have really matured over the years and it will provide a good test. Hitting a lot of fairways will be key to returning a good score.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Won’t make this one unfortunately. I’ve got a lot on my plate at the moment and not enough hours in the day!

Only 8 players down for it, lots of jug points up for grabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Looking forward to this 1 aswell and another new course to cross off the list !! Also talks of an Indian Summer from next week would be great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I like that talk

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I may actually have to drop from this lads. Heavily pregnant wife wants us to do some pre-baby classes on Saturday, and not sure i can get out of that without serious consequences 😣

Should know later today.

best of luck with that Kiith, exciting times ahead for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

see ya in about 15 years Kiith!!!:)

• Advertisement

Priorities dude, hope all goes well for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Tell her you'll look it up on youtube after. And if you could video her reaction and post it here I think we'd all appreciate it :)

And congrats, exciting times for ye!

Baby stuff can wait, too many points up for grabs to be missing this. Told my wife i was in charge and could do what i want.

Can i get an early tee time though? Don't have permission to be gone for that long 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Hope all goes well Kiith, congratulations to you both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Gutted to be missing this one but unfortunately I'm working and cant get it off. See you all in Enniscrone

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Well Golfers.

Our adventure's continue to West Waterford Golf Club. I was a member here when I first took up the game many moons ago. I would rate this as a true hidden gem without a doubt. Ye are in for a good test as all the planting has matured to create a course where wayward drives and poor iron shots will be punished.

[THAT,S ME F@@@ED ALREADY] I am delighted to see this club survive their recent events and happy to bring our merry bunch to the door.

Our timesheet is small this time around but to be expected this time of year I think.

12.00 AM KILTH. CHARLIEIRL. GOLFNUT203.

12.10 SPACECOYOTE. SLAVE1. CONCERNED2.

12.20 SSBOB. A POST PUNK. BREAK80.

We will have longest drive on the 5TH and nearest the pin on the 13TH. 2,s will be a nice pot as we had no winners in Castlecomer.

That's it Folks.

See ye all Saturday.

BREAK 80.

Cheers Captain. Given you're a past member, how about a quick course guide. Not much on the club website

It's been years but here is a hackers guide with places I've been anyone resembling a golfer shouldn't.

1st, Straightforward Par 5 with trees left and right in your landing zone. 2ND shot needs to be straight. DON'T be above the pin with your 3rd.

2nd. Slight dogleg left, Driver too big. Too much left in trees. Too much right in chunky rough.

3rd. Need to Finish on left of fairway to open up the green past a high tree. Problem is a lot of trees waiting to gobble up your ball if you are too left or get your angles wrong. Too right and you have more trees and a stream plus the afore mentioned tree to get over.

4th. Par 3 with a pond ready and waiting.

5th. Par 5 needing a slight fade to avoid bunkers with your drive. 2nd if straight opens up a big green.

6th. Need to get to the end of treeline on left to open up the green for a long 2nd shot.

7th. Straight long drive, flick of a wedge short putt. Easy peessy HAH.

8th. Same as 7 HAH HAH.

9th. Long Long par 3. OB right by clubhouse. If you ball is even looking towards the clubhouse RELOAD.

IF YE THOUGHT THAT 9 WAS EASY.

10th. Parallel to the 1st with all the mentioned trees but a par 4 this time I think.

11th. Par 3 over a ditch to a narrow green with a small pond in front of the green. Lads this little pond loves golf balls.

12th. Par 5 I think. Need to carry 1st ditch and land short of 2nd ditch. Stay on right of fairway or you will be blocked out for 2nd but you have a longer hit in.

13th. Par 3 with a steep hill to the putting surface. You need to be below the pin at all times. If the pin is at the front of the green and the steep hill to the green. YOU ARE F@@@ED. You will understand when I said to be below the pin when you see the green.

14th. YOU WILL NOT CLEAR THE TREES ON THE RIGHT.

15th. A stream and ditch is waiting for any nervous drive. They can be carried if you give it holly. Too much holly and a bit right there is another hungry pond waiting for your drive.

16th. Par 5 needing 3 good straight hits through a tree lined fairway.

17th. Blind 2nd shot to a green in a hollow. Stay high on the fairway.

18th. Long par 4 needing a drive to flirt with a big tree on the left for position A for your 2nd. Anything left will leave you 200 plus from chunky rough.

Did I mention 12 to 15 has the added bonus of a river that seem to have a magnetic effect on golf balls as all 4 greens are close and seem to repel the ball towards it. Uncanny to be honest.

Greens were always fast and true.

Hope ye enjoy Lads.

PS. Apoligies to any West Waterford members for my hackers guide to what is a really great day out.

BREAK 80

Post edited by charlieIRL on

Sorry Lads.

Couldn't edit with this new set up.

THAT TREE IS ON THE LEFT ON 18.

Thanks Break80, I’m not sure whether reading that guide is good or bad for the head going in 😂😂good thing your on my slot to show us the way !!

PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Best of luck tomorrow lads really gutted I'm missing this! Had a good lesson Tuesday evening and was only making stupid mistakes as usual! So my game is slowly coming back to pre-covid days a long with my confidence. Played my quarter finals match play match tonight against a 1 handicapper! Lost it on 16. Delighted to last that long to be honest as I was a bit defeated before it started! But got good experience. He started with 12 straight pars! Mad for a game now and going on holidays tomorrow for a week typical. Well enjoy and see you'd all at Captain's

Well done PostPunk, a clear winner. Nice 2s pot for GolfNut also.

Apols to Space and Concerned for the utter garbage golf by me today, pretty much nothing was anywhere close to normal.

Such is life, just the one 3putt and no lost balls for a scuttery score. Being down ~60 rounds a year since Covid is really impacting.

My playing partners caught my golf shortcomings which was a shame because another sausage for Space and he would have had a good jump up the table by eliminating those putts left short. Concerned was neat and putted real well on the back.

Roll on Enniscrone for another chance to hopefully play a few decent shots before the irons get stashed away till next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

It’s great to play a course that you probably wouldn’t ever get to only it’s part of the society and West Waterford is one of those. A long trek from the midlands but you know what, it was worth it. Delighted to see it still open after all their difficulties and credit must go to those involved to keep it going.

Unfortunately you can see in places where it needs some money spent on it but I’ve no doubt these will be seen to as soon as possible.

Played the round yesterday with 2 lads I never had the pleasure of joining in with before and if I had to play every round with them as my regular 3 ball, then that would be fine by me, two very nice guys Golfnut and Kiith.

My golf wasn’t great but steady-ish, driver a small bit erratic, hit a few chips fat (this had been a strong part of my game but ground was a bit wet under foot) but my putter was real hit and miss. A good few of us commented on the greens but given the circumstances the club is in, we managed. I had 5 x 3 putts after being on greens in regulation which really hurt my score. Had a chip in for par from just off the green on the index 1 which was great. Was on the index 2 in 2 with about 15 foot left and 3 putted!!

Still I was happy with my score in the end and I don’t think I was ever as happy to finish second as I was yesterday. A Post Punk has been a regular member and past captain of the society and is still involved since nearly the very start. For him to get his first win was absolutely brilliant. Well done dude.

It was a pity the numbers were so small yesterday, hopefully a once off. See everyone in Enniscrone for the grand finale where I’m sure it will be an exciting finish to the year.

Will be interesting to see how the GOTY top 10 will adjust after yesterdays event, A Post Punk should make a leap, and CharlieIRL should take the lead I assume. I think that, with the low numbers everyone who showed up will get a bump. Won't be much of a bump for myself and Slave1 though.

As Slave1 mentioned above, it wasnt a great day at the office for anyone in our group. For Slave1, he mentioned himself that his game is built around his short game and putter and it wasnt firing.

For Concerned2, was always going to be tricky. First round after a golf lesson is bound to be a bit hit and miss. When he got it right, he hit some super shots, so you can see it'll ultimately pay off.

As for me, i could blame the soft ground and slow greens, but it wasnt solely down to them. I didnt adjust to the pace until the index 1, and rolled in a par putt. Managed a couple of putts after that, but too little too late. The course is showing the impact of the uncertainty of the last couple of months, but can see why it has that hidden gem status.

Looking forward to Captains now and closing out the year in style

Thanks to my playing partners SSbob and Captain Break80 for a very enjoyable round yesterday and it was a cracker of a day again to play in , I didn’t even pack sun cream I was not expecting it to be so good.

Thanks Charlie for the kind words and It’s great to finally get the monkey off my back and win a boards outing …..as a longtime member it has been too long coming 😂

I have been getting consistent the last few months and said it after castlecomer I knew there was a good round to come soon. I finished with 38 points and only asked Break 80 on the 18th Tee what he reckoned would win it” mid thirties has a shout I reckon “ so I teed off with 35 points and hoping to keep the nerve!! Just off the green side bunker in 3 , I chipped on with the rest of the boards crew watching and sunk a 15 foot putt for par ( I’d say it took until the 18th to get the real pace of the greens as mentioned above ). Actually delighted I finally got a win and more happy on what was a tight difficult course. Realistically it wasn’t my driving that kept me in it yesterday ( normally my most reliable club) because I hit some very wayward shots …. It was my scrambling to get back in play and keep plugging for that 2 pointer or 1 that accumulated at the end of the round.

Here is a picture of the scrambling I had to do but I have been practicing these punch shots to get me out of trouble lately and that’s what paid off yesterday !!

Another 1 here pulled my drive again and had to take an unplayable to punch out sideways …….

Other than that I played the par 3’s fairly okay except for scratching 9 where I lost my tee shot through the green and approach shots in general were very good.

Overall I found the course great to keep you thinking all the way around off the tee and would love to revisit when the greens etc are sorted out in the future.

See ye all in Enniscrone for Captains and Hopefully the form continues ……

PP

Well Golfers.

Glad everyone who made the trip thought it was worth it. With the bad weather during the week I think they might not have got a cut on the fairways and greens but it is a fantastic layout and very enjoyable day out. I am delighted I will be able to play this course in the coming years.

Delighted for A Post Punk on his first win after so many years. A great society member putting in the miles every year. I suspected his day was coming as he was rarely in serious trouble and even when, he got the breaks and recovered well. I suspect the side bet with ssbob , loser buys dinner egged him on a bit as well.

Congrats to CharlieIRL who piped me for 2nd place.

Delighted myself to break The Captain's Curse and finally bring in a half respectable score in the 30,s.

Well done to Golfnut who had nearest the pin and then proceeded to make the putt and collect a nice carry over pot of 2,s money.

Kilth had longest drive which was to be expected watching his powerful smooth swing on the first tee. Best wishes from us all on your forthcoming life changing (For the best) adventure.

That's it for now golfers.

I will post up The Captain's thread soon.

Talk soon.

BREAK 80

Results table

Well done to Post punk to finally get that monkey off his back, a very deserving winner Fair play to all for making the trip, sorry I couldn't be there (it's not many boards outing I miss)

Post edited by Seve OB on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

First time posting in a long time on here, and glad that I was able to make a society event for the first time in quite a while too. It was many a good day (and night) we had in the past! Covid has grounded me from my 007 duties as international spy so has meant a lot more golf in the past 18 months while the courses have been open.

While in a good run of form lately, I was happy with a respectable 31pts on an extremely tough course for someone who doesn't hit fairways on a more open course. Greens were in need of a shave/roll but the course itself was enjoyable. Luckily for me I was being guided by Break80 and other than the bad shots I hit, I managed to stay out of the trouble he pointed out.

Delighted for A Post Punk on getting his first win, I can take credit for introducing him to the society and now also for being the difference in him getting over the line finally 😜 and while we play regularly anyway, he was very consistent all day, and didn't take on anything stupid which was the real difference. We were level with 4 to play and he ended up beating me by 7 pts, some great golf.

I must say it was nice to see some old faces but also some new and hopefully can make a few more of these events going forward. It's great to play new courses and great to play it with likeminded people.

Advertisement