Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Re-design

Options
  • 11-08-2021 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there

I would be grateful if somebody could steer me in the right direction.

I’m looking to re-design, modernise house and am looking for ideas and don’t know where to start.

It would involve knocking some walls, new kitchen, advice on best layout of kitchen living area etc.

What is the best person to get started with this - an architect/architectural technician/interior designer. Basically looking for ideas in the first instance of what’s possible and ballpark idea of costs.

Many thanks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

If it were me I'd imagine the house with just the 4 exterior facing walls there and then draw in the rooms from that. That should give you your ideal layout if existing interior walls were removed including putting the front door and windows where you want.

Next see what changes youd have to make to get that (what walls come out, what can stay etc etc)

As for inspiration look up pinterest, Instagram houzz etc. Find a style you like and search for it on google images. For example in our sitting room we went for maximilist styling so you would search maximilist style sitting room/bedroom/bathroom etc etc and go from there.

You need to know what look you want to achieve so you can search for it.

As for cost, the sky is the limit, this can also affect your style choices.

If you aren't looking for anything radically different Id say you could come up with a floor plan yourself and employ an structural engineer to do plans.

I guess you just need to see something you like and figure out how to incorporate that into your design.

Advertisement