Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's solve the Public Toilet crisis.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah, the Cork forum is mostly pretty friendly. Also, the topic didn't strike me as such a divisive one.

But there's always one langer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

If you open an unregulated public toilet in this City the reality is it'll be taken over in no time by junkies as with the now closed ones on Grand Parade.

Hence the discussion on how to solve the problem. I think most people get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe the Council should pay selected local businesses to make their toilets available to all, especially the ones with extended opening hours?

It should be a lot more cost effective than providing new facilities from scratch.

I recall this very idea being bandied about before. It makes sense, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 A1Cork

It's been a week and so far all I got was faults and one positive comment here. No solutions only cribbing and no solutions. The pay for a snack comment was productive. Tourism was constructive, takes me back to the time I was on holidays and had to bay 3 euros in North Africa to use a hole in the ground and a bucket.

We are the high tech capital of Ireland Europe I'm just wondering why I have to pass lanes ways and see people urinating etc.

Why can't I ask someone where is there a Jax to use. I went to the City the other day and paid 5.20 because I had to use a car park and there was no Jax. So I had to make an executive decision hold on hope traffic is good or use a public toilet. Reason I needed the Jax was because I had a large Coffee and was heading back out of the city that alone cost me almost 10 euros for an hour.

I also remember there was a service called a photo booth I think they are gone now also, or were not profitable anymore to establishments.

What?

You are pissed of at boards users for not coming up with and agreeing the solution to this problem?

No one here owes you even a reply. It's a discussion forum, not an answer service for you.

Also, did your trip to town cost you €5.20 or nearly €10? It can't be both.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

You know, there is a personality type, can’t recall what it’s named, where you just get to heck on with your life , whatever environment you’re in. Not expecting to be minded by nanny states or wanting other people to solve my problems. Rugged individualism? Something like that. Anyway. That’s me I’ve been told. I’ve never paid for a toilet in Africa either (they saw you coming eh!!!), just used in the hole in the ground like everyone else.

There are more people walking around with coffee cups these days. I generally don’t do that. I don’t feel I need sips of comfort throughout my day (and am using my hands for other stuff if I’m in town, like carrying things, or putting my mask on and off for the zillionth time). Maybe that tendency to drink non stop , while not being where the drinks are sold is contributing to this head scratcher.

A1, where did you buy your enormous coffee? Did that place have a toilet? If that habit is causing you bladder stress, think about changing it, or plan your toilet break beforehand.

We all know in advance, there will be a full bladder about 20 minutes after downing half a litre of liquid.

And one more… where on earth did you park for 5:20? Most of the public car parks are free for the first 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

Require all public buildings to have facilities open to the public, require all multistory carparks to have facilities, require all shopping centres to have facilities, require all retail establishments over a certain floor area to have facilities accessible to the public.

Not having basic toilet facilities available because junkies will abuse them is the tail wagging the dog.

Drainage problems ?...use a tank.

Not pissed of at board users at all, did I mention I was pissed off, I did not, so where you are conjuring that up from I have no idea.

As for the Coffee I also didn't say it was a large Coffee. I did empty my bladder at the Coffee shop toilet. But I think that was from the daily intake of water I had that morning.

The Car park was Merchants Quay the price was 5.20 there was no free 2 hrs there was a que for the toilet inside the shopping centre so I went to the bus station and paid 2 euros.

If you can be helpful to this discussion can you tell me when and where the car parks are free for two hours and could you be so kind to tell me where the toilets are.

Yes I am saying we have the largest amount of It businesses per population in Europe and more on the way.

As for the other users comment on getting caught for using the toilet in North Africa Tunisia I would agree and yes it was a hole in a floor standard in North Africa and the money that was paid was for the key to this facility and the use of the water.

Why is it so difficult in 21st century Ireland Cork to have public toilets yet we can build hotels and office blocks. And after 40 years relief roads and fly overs. They even built houses back in the 60s and 70s when it was much more difficult to get funding and lots of money for projects, one a week was being built I believe.

Yet in today's world where there is Billions available we can't even manage to get public toilets in the city or water at a beach in Youghal to was sand of your feet.

Before you start don't blame the people with addictions.

I'm in favour of public toilets in an ever expanding city with an ever expanding population of people from all walks of life that come here to work from abroad and tourist to tour and for the citizens of Cork and beyond to be able to locate and use toilet facilities. I'm in favour of a tap and pay system and maybe if one ever gets built a system for people with disabilities to use them like the free travel scheme.

I don't have a degree so I would be able to help build these facilities for this ever expanding City for all who wish and need to avail.

A very good idea. This to could lead to more jobs. Very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Some might recall the fancy public toilets opened in Clifden earlier in the summer - €3.50 per use, and €15-€20 for the shower. https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/plan-for-five-star-bathroom-block-in-central-dublin-1.4653437

The same guy is opening one in Dublin, but the article includes this quote: In addition to Duke Street, Mr Nagle plans to open a network of wheelchair accessible bathrooms in more than 25 towns and four cities across Ireland, all of which will come with baby-changing facilities, showers and vanity areas.

The Irish Times article gives further details; €3.50 per use; €5.00 for a day pass; €20 for a week pass or €120 for an annual subscription [ex showers].

The facilities are staffed when open, and each area is cleaned between persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

The free parking for 2 hours was listed here. Looks like the council ended that scheme in August.

I was wondering if you were going to mention coffee horse-boxes or pop-ups. Because I genuinely think those must be painful for bricks-and-mortar establishments to bear.

For the existing places serving drinks, they are required to provide toilets for customers through regulation, employ the people to keep them maintained and clean, and supply with toilet paper / soap , lighting etc, along with being inspected for cleanliness, keeping food and drinks at the correct temperatures, waste management. They currently carry that burden for the public, plus paying the rates to the council on top for the pleasure.

The casual traders do none of that. If there is additional demand being created by cas

The suggestions above are to ensure that other service providers (car-parks? / dedicated buildings for toilets) also start maintaining and staffing toilet complexes.

Advertisement