Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gomo 5G?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

4G is more than enough for my needs. I have WiFi at home and 4G is plenty for streaming music/podcasts etc when out and about or commuting to work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

5g showed up around Waterford City and back towards New Ross the last few weeks I can confirm anyway, phone is iPhone 12, €14.99 plan - signed up about 18 months ago to it.

Speeds weren't that much faster compared to 4g to be honest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Been using my 15e sim today with 5g enabled. I've noticed it's showing 5g symbol all the time but I'm living in 4g only territory and speed test proves this with same speeds as before with my 4g sim. It doesn't display 4g at all now it will drop from 5g to 3g. No in between. Speeds are same as my 4g sim. Apart from an area today with proper 5g I got 402 Meg download speed. Impressive. So unless I do a speed test on my travels I will not know if I'm receiving true 5g service despite my phone displaying the 5 g symbol

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I switched my Mam over to Gomo when it launched, she would be a very light user, doubt she exceeds 2gb of data a month to be honest, anyway, I happen to have her phone with me today as she left it behind and when I was answered it when she rang, I noticed that she has 5G on it, when I said it to her, her response was I was wondering why it changed from 4G to 5G ok :)

She is definitely on the 9.99 plan and her phone is a One Plus 8 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I moved to the 5G plan and I am getting faster 4G download speeds where I live and 5G is available in my area...

• Advertisement

I'm on the original plan with 4G and my speeds are faster than someone else in the house who is on 5G. In some area's 5G coverage is weak compared to 4G.

is a good website to see what towers are in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭somedood

My Pixel 6 updated this morning and now 5G is working on GOMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chevvykevvy

So I have recently switched to GOMO 5g and such a mistake. I had noticed my 4g speeds getting slower so I thought best to switch up.

Currently my GOMO 5g Speeds in the majority of locations are the same as my 4g speeds, around the 10mbps mark, sometimes faster, and sometimes slower.

The odd time I have checked and it can reach 50mbps. in ine or 2 locations.

I bought this package hoping it would reach speeds in excess of 100mbps, I was told it could be as fast as 300mbps

Hugely disappointed.

I also have a work phone on Virgin 4g,, that has average speeds of 10 - 50 mbps,, super fast 4g

I have tried to get help from GOMO because in some locations the speed is terrible, I hoptspot over my Virgin Mobile Phone.

GOMO have given me various excuses, 1 there is no 5g mast in the area 2 The mast is down, 3 Its my phone.

Now I cant revert back to the faster and more reliable 4g package.

I only got the Samsung S20+5g to access 5g,

Hopefully 48 will introduce a 5g package

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have the exact same regret, the GoMo 5G is an absolute waste, the 4G speeds were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭jmreire

Very interesting thread for me. After 4 years of My3 on bill pay, and with the contract ending this month, I feel like a change. Before the My3, I was on Vodafone sim only, €20 per 28 days, and back then it worked fine, for me at any rate. Now I'm strongly thinking about going back to SIM only again. But the times are changing, so any suggestions / recommendations etc . would be appreciated. TIA, 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Imo, vodafone is the best overall. Im on a good deal at the moment with a phone included, it works everywhere I go and usually has the best coverage compared to my friends phones. Expensive but for a good reason. Its reliable, I reckon theyre expensive on purpose cause its the only option for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭jmreire

3 are offering to continue the contract ( pressing might be a better word....they don't like losing customers ) increase in payment from €35 to €40, 2 year contract, and new phone. a Samsung Galaxy S21 NE. What is your Vodafone deal like compared to what's on offer on 3? ( BTW, I've never had any problems with the current Galaxy A52 or the previous one, the A50.

What is the 5g speeds in your area like? And have you checked such with someone else who is on 5g with a different network? Your closest mast may not have 5g availability and only 4g.

Because of my location, 4g is faster than 5g with GoMo. So I'm happy out with my standard €10 plan. Consistent 50mbps speeds on 4g.

Cellmapper.net and siteviewer.comreg.ie are good websites to locate what mast you may be connecting to. LTE is 4g and NR is 5g on mast details.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I get over 100 Mbps on the €9.99 4G plan. Have picked up 5G the odd time but it was no faster, probably slower actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm on the €15 plan. I always have either 5G or 3G, never shows 4G. 5G can be slow enough but when I'm near a mast, I can get a gig speed download.

Abroad, also got 5G speeds. Wouldn't go changing to the €15 plan just for that TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I swapped to the €15 plan as I bought a 2nd hand 5G wifi router & sold on my old 4G one. Based in the city centre in Cork & the speed is ~5 times what I got with 4G (300 Mbps vs 60 Mbps). It does get slower at times as you'd expect. My other GoMo SIM is in my phone but don't see any reason to move that one to the 5G plan at the moment anyway.

Advertisement