Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDNS on a TP-Link TL-MR6400/GoMo SIM

Options
  • 14-08-2021 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - not sure where the issue is with this setup. I have a DVR recording CCTV from my home security system. It is set up for DDNS with No-IP, and I can see that it is regularly pinging and updating the record on their side. I have swapped the broadband connection to a 4G TL-MR6400/GoMo SIM, and while the IP reference is updating, I can't access the host any more. It used to work on my fixed line, but for a couple of reasons, I need to cancel that contract and go down the mobile data route.

At this stage, I'm presuming that all of the outbound networking magic is happening and that perhaps it's something specific to the provider, but any advice would be appreciated. My next step is to try a different network SIM to see if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

It looks like the IP at the external interface on the router is different from the one that is being mapped at NoIP - which probably explains things. I've tried setting a DDNS from the DVR and a different one via the router; both are updating successfully but the mapping for both is the same incorrect IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 buzz77

This expected when using mobile network for internet access. Your router with the GoMo SIM gets a private IP from GoMo for outside access (something like 10.x.y.z). Then this private IP address is translated (usually Source NAT) to a public IP address (the one you get when updating in DDNS). You no longer can access your router because the Public DDNS IP is residing on a totally different piece of hardware and traffic is not automatically port-forwarded to your router when there's an incoming connection from outside. It is possible but I doubt GoMo is willing to do it. If you want access from Internet into your router via a public IP, my advice is to stick to a fixed broadband connection (DSL, cable, Fiber/FTTH, etc).

Post edited by buzz77 on

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I have had the same problem with an eir sim where I wanted the IP address automatically updated for my smart DNS proxy service. I think Vodafone mobile also has this problem. I now have a 3 sim working and it updates the correct IP address automatically.

Advertisement