Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Andrews school admittance

• 15-08-2021 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

We would like to send our daughter to St Andrews school, both primary and secondary. We really like the idea of a mixed school for her, and the opportunities that it will afford her - good education & good facilities. We're both non practicing Catholics and we live about 5-6km from the school. We received a list from the school regarding enrollment, and it seems that they accept Presbyterians first, followed by Protestants....... all the way down the list to Irish Catholics at the bottom!

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into St Andrews if you are Catholic?? Our daughter is only 4 months old and not baptised yet but we would happily to convert to Presbyterian or Church of Ireland if needed, as we would be closer in our thinking to practices of Presbyterianism than to Catholicism.

Is this even necessary?

We feel there are so few *great schools that are mixed in this country. My husband went to Newpark where he felt he was never pushed academically, he's really smart but did poorly in school. And I went to an all girls Catholic school, and had pretty average academic experience, however I suffered alot of bullying and I really think a mixed school would have benefited me more! We love the ethos of critical thinking that is advertised on the St Andrews site, and it doesn't come across as an overly religious school regardless of its origin.

Help! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 FA12345

Bump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can't help much. I went to secondary school there, I'd say upwards of half the class were baptized Catholic so it's definitely not rare.

Feel free to PM me if you want any thoughts on the school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As a very general rule, I'd be checking with parents of a particular school rather than believing everything on a website. Do you plan for her to continue onto secondary school there too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 FA12345

Yes, we would put her in a feeder school however the reason for going primary is to get her into the senior school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A lot of the semi private schools have a particular religious ethos, and they might prioritise people from a particular religion, but I know St Andrews have muslim, hindu, jews and islam students. I'm sure they also accept Catholics :)

I'd be rushing this if you haven't done anything yet as a friend of mine has said that the CUS junior school is closing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement