Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declined Cases - Have you ever applied?

Options
  • 15-08-2021 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

The aim of this Committee is to guarantee everyone seeking a car insurance will be able to get a quote. However it doesn't state anything about the fairness re prices you will get from a "forced" quote by the Committee.

Just curious, have you ever applied for this? What about the price given to you, was it any reasonable?

My car is approaching 16 years old (I have no claims at all) and I'm afraid I will be declined every single quote when its time to renew. Currently insured with Kencoo, which quotes cars up to 15y old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

As far as I know you can only apply to this committee if you have ACTUALLY been declined by a number of insurers. So you would have to have evidence of having been declined. The Committee will then ask (or maybe instruct?) at least one insurer to offer you a quote.

As regards the cost it's likely that if you have been declined it's because you are high risk (like having been involved in a number of accidents or having a drink driving conviction) so no company is going to be issuing cheap quotes to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

Yes, you must have at least 3 declined quotes.

However declined quotes can be for a variety of reasons, including the age of the car, even if you have an entirely clean driving history.

What I want to know is whether it is possible to get a reasonable quote from it or if they will come up with some non-sense 3k ~ 4k quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If you are offered a renewal by your existing insurers then you cannot approach the declined cases committee even if you have gotten declined by every other insurer you try. Your existing insurers are compelled to offer you a renewal unless they have reason to suspect you are up to something dodgy, have had a heap of claims etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It doesn't have to be "reasonable" however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

@El Gato De Negocios Your existing insurers are compelled to offer you a renewal unless they have reason to suspect you are up to something dodgy, have had a heap of claims etc.

They are not, they are only obliged to give you a renewal under the same conditions of the DCA, i.e two other insurers have also refused a quote.

The difference here is the existing insurer must then give a quote even if not the first insurer approached, if you don't have an existing insurer (within the previous 3 years) then the first approached must quote.

If an existing insurer refuses to quote, but the second or third does then there is no obligation on the existing insurer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Often if you stay with same insurer they will quote you, when they won't quote for the same car as new business.

To answer your question is there is little chance of ending up with a cheap quote by going down the no quote route. They just pick a high number.

At a certain point insurance costs become more than an old car is worth, say paying 900 per year to drive a banger when it may be 350 a year insurance on a newer less than 10 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've never had any issues getting quotes for my Mother's 18 year old car. It's only new owners and those looking for 3rd party only that seem to have issues. There was a €1500 difference between Fully comp and 3rd party only on a site when getting quotes for my Mother last year, fully comp was the cheaper quote!

Advertisement