Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danger Earth Rod Inspection Box

Options
  • 15-08-2021 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

See photos below showing the green box bearing the label 'Danger Earth Rod Inspection Box' and its contents:

So, my question is what exactly is the 'Danger' it is warning of ? Its an Earth wire terminated in a blob of plasticine. I mean its earth, I presume I could remove the plasticine and lick the exposed copper wire and it still wouldn't to anything to me ? The reason I ask is that I want to screw a bike stand into the cobble-lock which will involve drilling holes in the block right beside the inspection box where I have drawn the red arrow. Is there anything dangerous about drilling holes here ?

Thanks,

Zo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's not Plasticene - it's Denso tape which is there to prevent corrosion. The issue is that if there was a fault current on it at the time then there could be a potential between it and the surrounding Earth, which would increase the further from the rod that you were in contact with. It's there to provide an Earth reference to the installation PEN conductor (protective Earthed neutral) from the ESB, to try to maintain it at Earth potential.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agree with the response from Risteard.

to answer the OP’s question: I would proceed with the installation of the bike stand as intended in a way that will not restrict access to the earth inspection box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

Taking care of course not to drill through the underground cable that's attached to the rod.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

All good answers

as an aside I don’t think drilling the cobblestone would give your bike stand any security. You’ll struggle to get bolts to secure firmly. Try a different location or secure to the wall if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

okay, so you're saying that the potential danger arises only in the specific case where there is a fault in progress in which case this earth inspection wire could actually be at a potential above earth ? So if I'm confident that there was no fault in progress while I'm drilling then it wouldn't be dangerous even if I did accidentally drill through this wire, it would just mean that it would then be useless as an inspection point, right ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The chances go getting a shock from the earth electrode are quite remote. Having said that it would be best not to damage it or the cable going to it (by drilling though it) as it is an important part of the electrical installation. Essentially it makes the electrical installation safer.

It’s one of those situations where if you cut the wire you won’t know and everything will work as normal, but could leave your home electrical installation in a silently dangerous state.

So take precautions not to disturb or cut the earth rod connections.

Advertisement