Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2021/22

• 15-08-2021 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

The first round of La Liga is under way and the big three have all won their opening games: Benzema looked good for Madrid yesterday as they won 4-1 at Alaves; Barca beat Sociedad 4-2 this evening; champions Atletico won 2-1 at Celta Vigo.

I think the title race is going to be very tough to call again this season. Despite losing Messi and Aguero being injured, I feel Barca have enough to be in the mix.

Interested to see if Sevilla can be involved after their strong season last campaign. They beat Rayo Vallecano 3-0 tonight. Didn't realise they picked up keeper Dmitrovic on a free transfer. I like that signing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Although the opening games went the way the big boys wanted, still a few twists and turns maybe before the end of August and final squads have to be registered.

Can Barca keep all their squad and register everyone? Talk in the last few days that players have been asked to take more pay cuts, as their wage bill still too high, and most refused. Will they try to offload some players before end August?

It also appears Madrids fire sale might continue as well. Loads of 'outs' but no 'ins' this season, as they obviously try to lower costs and thin the squad and wage bill, all in the hope of making a last ditch bid for Mbappe. They appear to be putting all their eggs in the one basket, assuming signing Mbappe will fix their squad issues from last season, when Chelsea showed them up in that 2nd leg. Of course it won't, but hey, it's Madrid we're talking about.

Atleti seem to be about the most sound club at present of the big 3, and I'd say will fancy their chances of retaining the title.

But overall a weakened La Liga this season I feel, now firmly in the shadow the the EPL and its financial might. Can't see any of the Spanish challenging for the CL this season, and maybe not for quite a few seasons unless they have a major change of fortunes. Simply too indebted and hamstrung by lack of money, but all their own doing.

Sweet Jebus, Laporta has said their debt is now €1.35bn!

Madrids is reported to be around the 900m - 1bn mark too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A lot of Madrid fans seem to think Mbappe will solve all their problems but that squad is need of plenty of new blood. Hazard and Bale started their opening game and you'd wonder how much football they can play before injuries occur. Modric isn't getting any younger either.

Mbappe showed in the euros he is far from being able to carry a team on his own, and he is as prone to off days as the next player.

Agree that him alone won't make them CL contenders again. The team needs a major overhaul and they are thinning the squad out to afford Mbappe. Wont work..

Atletico blessed. Comical O.G. scored by Villarreal's Aissa Mandi.

Didn't realise Danjuma had signed for Villarreal. He looked fantastic in the few games I saw of him with Bournemouth. Surprised a Premier League club didn't go for him. He got Villarreal's 2nd.

Highlights of Cadiz vs Osasuna are worth a look. Cadiz led the game 1-0 and 2-1 but Osasuna went on to win it 3-2 with goals in the 91st and 95th minute.

• Advertisement

Had a look at Espanyol vs Atletico. Lemar grabbed a winner in the 99th minute to make it 2-1. The Espanyol fans weren't happy with 10 minutes of stoppage time and even the commentators were surprised. There were lots of subs and some water breaks though, so perhaps it was justified.

Madrid looked decent going forward tonight, but pretty poor at the back tonight v Celta.

Camavinga scored on his debut, about 5min after coming on.

Benzema as imperious as ever.

Pleased for Camavinga. Benzema looked brilliant.

Falcao made his debut for Rayo Vallecano against Getafe, coming on for the last 20 minutes, and he scored a nice goal as they won 3-0. Pleased for him.

Atletico held goalless at home against Athletic Club. It could have been worse with Joao Felix getting sent off late on and Inaki Williams missing a good chance. Valencia vs Madrid looks a good game tomorrow and either can go top with a win.

Benzema produces once again, popping up with a late winner to send Madrid top of the table.

He's leading both the goals and assists charts in La Liga with 6 and 5 respectively. What a player.

• Advertisement

Granada have taken the lead at the Camp Nou inside 2 minutes. Very youthful back four for Barca: Dest (20), Garcia (20), Araujo (22), and Balde (18). Nearly an empty stadium but plenty of whistling already. Game is live on Premier Sports.

Half-time and Granada still hold the lead. Barca struggling to create chances but Araujo did force a great stop from Maximiano with his header.

1-1. Araujo with a headed equaliser in the 89th minute. He's such a threat aerially. Wonder will Granada lose it now.

Full-time and Granada earn a point. I think they deserved that. Barca not clinical enough and Depay and De Jong missed good chances. Very untypical Barca performance with lots of crossing and long balls. They look a team without an identity atm. Need to get the likes of Pedri, Dembele, Aguero, Fati, Alba out there ASAP.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

It's going to be a long road back for Barca, having seen their form of late.

Massive rebuilding needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Barcelona are a lot like Arsenal these days. Can hark back to the past but now have a very average squad.

Only two players impressed me last night #04 Araujo and #11 Demir. They'll struggle in the CL as well I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

I would have thought with Messi gone and left with a young experienced squad, Barca would have been able to go back to the high press and high defensive line to make up for lack of quality and experience.

The style of play has been poor along with bad results, there doesn't seem to be much of a plan so can't see Koeman lasting the season.

Koeman speaking last night after the game:

"We had to sacrifice our style of play a little bit to try and get the result, by putting crosses in rather than playing down the middle. If you look at the squad list for the game, it's the only thing we could do.

"We can't play tiki-taka if there aren't any spaces. So that means we have to try and find another way to play. For me that's what has to be talked about, the fact that we tried everything to get a point.

"We know it's maybe not Barcelona's football, but this Barcelona is not that of eight years ago."

I was really surprised he came out with this. While he has legitimate injury concerns, to come out and admit that his style is not the Barcelona way is not going to go down well in a club obsessed with its philosophy.

I think his position is under threat big time now.

He's only speaking the truth, and perhaps the truth hurts.

But he is signing his own sacking with comments like that.

Falcao does it again. Comes off the bench in the 76th minute and gets a 96th minute winner against Athletic Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Very interesting piece from Balague about the goings-on at Barca.

That contract situation is just absurd. I know it was Bartomeu but its just insane that anyone would consider that a viable situation.

Their desperation to cling onto the Barca style and using the club's brand is actually causing more harm. A little bit of humility and an acknowledgement that a different approach is needed could go a long way.

2 goals and 2 assists for Benzema against Mallorca. That puts him on 8 goals and 7 assists in total from 6 games. Best player in the world right now for me.

Benzema is an amazing player. Been a top level player now for 12yrs+.

For any forward to be at Real Madrid for so long shows you just how good he is. He's playing like a man 1p yrs younger too.

As for Madrid, really enjoying watching them this season. They seem to be all-out attack this season. The 2 young Brazilians seem to be playing with a smile on their faces, and seem to be improving as well.

I would worry about their defence when they come up against the likes of psg, bayern or the epl teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For the life of me I do not understand how De Jong's second yellow was not overturned.

He slid in, got the ball and then pulled his legs back. He made minimal contact with the player.

If you know why it wasn't overturned can you please explain it to me. My opinion is that it's not even a foul nevermind a yellow card.

I'm not a Barca fan btw, just hate bad calls. Love to see Cadiz beat them.

Koeman sent off and I can't help but wonder if he will ever be in their dugout again.

Not saying that Koeman will ever work out but I just get the feeling that Busquets and Pique have too much power in that dressing room.

I think they need to be gone to give any coach a real shot at having a go.

Shocked that Alaves beat Atletico as they had lost every game before today. If Madrid beat Villarreal later they go 5 points clear of Simeone's side.

Update: it finished 0-0 at the Bernabeu.

Madrid not as exciting to watch this weekend!

Atletico beat Barca 2-0. Suarez scored against his former side.

Koeman didn't want him at Barca. Wonder was that the last goal he'll see in charge of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The media reports about Barcelona have been written before the season started. It's a very bizarre situation. They were doing quite well in the league before last night. With that team and financial turmoil I thought Koeman was doing well. Yet every headline has been under pressure Koeman this and crisis that and they were unbeaten until last night in the league. Win their game in hand and they are two points behind the champions.

Another goal by Benzema but not enough as Madrid beaten by Espanyol 2-1. Sevilla away to Granada later, and if they win that they will be on 17 points alongside Madrid, Atletico and Sociedad, but Sevilla also have a game in hand. Enjoying how open the top of the table looks.

Danjuma meanwhile continuing his good form for Villarreal with a double against Betis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Interesting comments by Laporta regarding Messi

Laporta said: "With Messi I do not get angry because I appreciate him. I know he had a huge desire to stay, but also a lot of pressure because of the offer he had.

“Everything indicates that he already had the offer from PSG. Everyone knew that he had a very powerful offer. We knew from Messi that they had a very good offer.

“At no time do I think of going backwards. I think I'm doing the best for Barca. Nobody can put the institution at risk.

“I did hope that at the last minute Messi would say that he would play for free. I would have liked that and he would have convinced me. I understand that the league would have accepted it. But we cannot ask that of a player of his level.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Currently watching Alaves Vs Betis. No goals but an excellent game of intelligent football. Joaquin just came on, some legend still playing at 40 for the club he loves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is he still going Joaquin, thats some feat especially for a winger.

Still going and created the winning goal for Betis.

Pleasant surprise to find El Clasico is on Premier Sports tomorrow (3:15pm). For all Barca's problems, if they win they'll go above Madrid in the table.

What a finish from Alaba to give Madrid the lead. He also won the ball in his own area to start the move. Dest should have given Barca the lead earlier. That was some sitter he missed.

Lucas Vazquez makes it 2-0 in stoppage time and surely wraps it up.

2-1. Aguero scores from close range. Is there time for a comeback?

Nope. Ref blows the whistle right after. Madrid go top. More pressure on Koeman.

• Advertisement

Was a poor standard Clasico. Shows you just how far these 2 giants have fallen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I think Madrid are a good side who on their day will give any of the top teams a game. Alaba is a serious player, not just his goal but his reading of the game and calmness in possession. Madrid’s big problem will be replacing Benzema. They’ve youth coming through everywhere else.

Got to disagree. Madrid were shown up by Chelsea last year in the CL, and they haven't strengthened bar Alaba. And they have lost Varane and Ramos don't forget.

Vini Jr looks more a player this season, but I still think when they come up against the likes of Bayern, City, Chelsea and Liverpool, they won't compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Yeah true however Chelsea did go on to win it so it shows how good they were last year. Madrid also brought in Camavinga who I think has huge potential, Valverde is still only coming though so they have a potential youthful Midfield Base. With Vini JNR and Rodrygo only going to get better I think the futures bright. Definitely be an interesting couple of seasons for them either way.

Yeah from what I've seen of Camavinga so far, he looks like a very good buy for Madrid.

Vini Jr has really pushed on, not sold on Rodrygo just yet.

Benzema has been carrying them for a while now too. With Mbappe looking like he'll be there next year, interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement

Premier Sports 2 showing Villarreal vs Cadiz from 8:30pm. Going to watch for Danjuma.

Half-time: Cadiz lead 2-1 thanks to 2 goals from Antony Lozano. Emery's side dominating the ball but Cadiz have been clinical. Danjuma has been good. He had a goal ruled out for being narrowly offside and did a lovely backheel nutmeg at one stage. Love watching him.

Full-time and it ends 3-3. Great game. Lozano got his hat-trick early in the 2nd half but sub Boulaye Dia got one back and then provided the assist for my man Danjuma to equalise in the 95th minute. Think that's Danjuma's 5th La Liga goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Beauty from Lamela to level it for Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The game of chicken between Koeman and Laporta continues. Who's going to blink first?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,037 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Surprised he lasted this long

It was only a matter of time. Question now is who they get in to replace him. Xavi has been linked with the job.

2 more poor results for Madrid and Barca.

As I said before, they are bang average and will be lucky to get past 1st knockout game in CL. In fact Barca might not make it outta their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Madrid v Osasuna kicked off at 9.30pm local time tonight, is it just me or is that insanely late for a match to start at? Is that a normal KO time in Spain? I know games there are often 9pm KO at night and Spanish/Med culture is that they tend to do things really late in the day. Maybe I'm just getting old but I wouldn't even bother sitting down to start watching a film at 9.30pm let alone go to a game knowing I wasn't getting home til 1-2am on a school night!

The Spanish are night owls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A bit mad that it’s nearly 2022 and Falcao is back in LaLiga scoring goals for fun at 35.

• Advertisement
Advertisement