Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL - can't change flight origin??

Options
  • 16-08-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello there, does anyone know why Aer Lingus does not allow changes to the origins of flights, only destinations?

I'm in the middle of Europe up the creek without a paddle as family circumstances meant we have to abandon the second half of our trip but it was made up of one-way flights and we need to fly back from a different city. Given the general context, I booked because of the flexibility Aer Lingus seemed to be offering and had no idea we could not change the origin city. I'd love to understand why this is, and if anyone can suggest any way of convincing AL to help out that would also be seriously good....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Yield management is the general answer. You are also attempting to change the terms of the contract between you and the airline. Most airlines have rules like this to prevent consumers from no shows on an outbound leg and attempting to use (the usually cheaper) return leg. In times gone bye regular commuters would block book city pairs or avail of deep discounted tickets and no show on the outbound leg and then use one of the return tickets to get where they wanted to go on a date of their choosing.

The only way around it will be to pick up the telephone and see if a ticket agent will be ameniable to your tales of woe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

This site is p*ss now. You got that twice for some insane reason and I have no idea how to delete or even if its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 martin18

Thanks for the answer, Basil. I understand the explanation in terms of a return ticket (I'd always wondered about that), but this is a one-way they won't let me change. I don't really understand what difference it makes to them is the thing....

Been trying to get through to AL but you know how it is, waiting and waiting with that crap music. And in europe with no freephone number!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Might be easier (if you are unsuccessful with AL) to just buy another ticket with another airline if possible either to the origin airport or home. Where are you, if you are willing to say. Is it possible to travel overland e.g. by train to the origin airport or anything?

I am sure there are T+Cs covering your predicament, not in your favour either. But you never know, if there are seats available it might just work. I wonder if you tweet them would it help? Best of luck and update us for the benefit of others who might have a similar issue some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 martin18

Got through to AL after ages in queue to US number (free on Skype). No joy, wouldn't change the origin city.

SpanishEyes, thanks for your comment. The predicament is financial, I've already had to cancel several bookings at a partial to complete loss and now I have to buy whole new tickets for the family from Memmingen with Ryanair. Overland to Venice (Im in Austria) would be almost as expensive and take ages so it's a no go. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement