Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance and Working From Home (WFH)

• 16-08-2021 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,

Went to renew my home insurance today (AVIVA) and in their "Assumptions" regarding cover, they say "no business is conducted" in the premises.

How does this affect WFH? I see nothing in their FAQs. Anyone else with this experience?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would guess that that statement refers to having customers/clients visiting your home, storing or having products delivered to your home etc....

You could probably just mention that you will be WFH from time to time in the comments section.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

Hi,

Got a call from them today and essentially @Jim2007 is right. "Business" means people calling to your home instead of an office environment, as you would have if you were a consultant for example. In such cases, you would need to get public liability insurance.

For ordinary office workers, you are covered as normal to wfh, however equipment supplied to you by your company is NOT covered - so laptops, chairs, desks, etc. if they get damaged/stolen, you can't claim against your insurance.

For a laugh, I asked what would happen if you hurt yourself (covered under your normal insurance) using equipment supplied by the company (not insured). After a slight pause, I was told that would be decided on a case by case basis 😁

Hope this helps others anyway. Keep in mind this was just Aviva, other insurance companies may have different policies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Interesting... although I'm surprised about the company supplied equipment. If you are responsible for the good order of the equipment and it's return to the employer at the end of your contract, then you should have an insurable interest in it. Would be interesting to know if the employer cover it...

Advertisement