Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring - Immersion Heater Dual Element with Single Thermostat

Options
  • 16-08-2021 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

My immersion stopped working - is not heating water in sink/bath mode.

When switched to bath - led is on but does not heat water.

When switched to sink - no led and circuit breaker tripping.

I removed immersion element cover and measured continuity. I noted continuity between Neutral and Black terminal, no continuity between Neutral and and Brown terminal noted. No continuity on thermostat noted - measured at 40 degree and 70 degree.

I assume thermostat is gone and Brown element (bath - big heat element) gone as well. I checked brown terminal with heater housing and noted continuity - does it mean that bath heat element is gone on immersion?

You can find my immersion wiring below :

Cheers,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

You may find the attached schematic (courtesy of Bruthal) easier to use/explain your tests.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is not necessary to remove the element to measure continuity. A resistance check would be more useful. I would seem that the sink element has failed so replacement would be the best option. To test if the stat has failed simply link it out. If the element heats with the stat linked out and doesn't when the stat is in circuit then it is safe to assume the stat is the issue. Be careful not to leave an element connected without a stat in place.

As a side note heating water electrically is very expensive so if there is an alternative you could save a few bob.

Advertisement