Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad.......and all that goes with it

Options
  • 16-08-2021 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

My wife is from the UK, and after living in Ireland for the last 20 years, she is becoming increasingly homesick.

We have had numerous conversations in the past about moving but it has always fizzled out until we visit her folks and talk of moving back resumes.

This time, I feel that it's now or never. With two kids (aged 11 and 12), I know that there is a frightening amount of things to consider (house, jobs, schools etc) but I guess the first question I have is if anyone here has experiences of selling up and leaving Ireland for another country?

I am completely clueless about how to get the ball rolling so would be very interested to hear about exactly what's involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I think there's a moving abroad forum? There certainly used to be one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

well, I am trying to. but too many things are out of my control, it is alot of pressure.

thing is that you'd want to sell while you're tax resident I assume. but then there are things like: "can i sell the house with most of the content" i am told "depends on the buyers, some want that some don't"; and indeed, from all the viewings, majority potential buyers have said they want to bring their own stuff .

so i'd need to provision to either sell / give away furniture, or bring partial with me (think i found a transporter that does weekly runs to my destination). so long term storage is needed meanwhile (not easy to find these days due to ppl being more dynamic on property).

• ah, an interesting aspect I learnt you could use when moving... appears there are irish companies that make pallet boxes (double walled with lid that sit on a pallet) - largest size is 1200/1000/1200 mm.

Advertisement