Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just planted 4 foot potted laurel - advice please

Options
  • 17-08-2021 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi guys we just planted established laurel plants. They were bought from a nursery and are approximately 4 to half feet high.

Literally planted over the last two days. I've read it's important to prune laurel to encourage growth. Does this apply in our case as they have only been planted?

If we should prune can someone tell me the best way to do it. I'm not sure if I would cut the main stem near the top or the secondary stems that come off them. See photo attached.

Also how often and how much do we water these?

Thanks for any help and advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Nice Job, looks lovely. Personally I've grown laurel hedging before, not has mature as yours to start but I'd be very reluctant to prune any newly laid hedging, I'd be inclined to allow it settle, develop its root system and prune next year at the earliest.

I'm not a gardening expert albeit I have a long developed large mature garden I created through self education over 20 years. I think it wise to allow your new hedge settle, its not going to grow massively this year, there'll be minimum if any growth from October approx so let it settle IMO.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Let it settle. Plenty of time to prune it next year when it has grown.

As above, just leave it be. You'll see very little growth from now to the dormant period. Trust me, you'll have enough pruning to do in years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Water them. Every week till October. Wouldn't worry to much about pruning. But water don't forget to water. :) looks good

Sorry should have said unless its rained very heavy. I've seen so many lost when planted this time of year because of lack of water at the base. Roots won't get in to the surrounding ground for a few months yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Water them even if it rains unless its heavy enough to wet the base of the plants. The foliage forms a canopy which will keep the roots dry except in a real downpower.

It is also a good idea to heel them in firmly after frost as it tends to loosen the ground, though pot grown plants are less likely to loosen.

If we have a very dry spring and summer next year keep an eye on watering.

No need to prune till next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement