Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As a social experiment...

• 17-08-2021 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I'm of the opinion that people who listen to those main stream radio stations that only play the modern hits over and over, only do so because they've been socially conditioned. I don't think they really enjoy the music. 

What if for one day, if a such a station (Red fm being the one I'm thinking of) were just repeat these same 6 songs all day?

'A little Bit of Love' Tom Grennan

'Before you Go' Lewis Capaldi

'Giants' Dermot Kennedy

'Dance Monkey' by Tones and I

'Memories' - Maroon 5

'Pump It Up' - Endor 

Think about this. It doesn't take much for a song to get stuck in your head. That's why it may seem as if certain songs are repeated 10 times a day when they're only played three times; but what if they were actually played 10 times? How long would it take the listeners of such radio stations to kind of realise "hang on? why do I actually listen to this?... I know it's important to fit in with my friends but come on!".

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What do you think they should be listening to?

Irish country on a loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I'm just saying there's such variety out there. So I don't get how people can stick listening to the same stuff all day long. It's a real shame. RTE gold is the really the only option for a diverse range of music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not going to be able to find any of the stories now, but i read a few 10 or 15 years ago which cited studies that people tend to like songs they have heard multiple times, especially in a context when they're hearing them rather than listening to them.

Advertisement