Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low voltage lighting in bathroom

Options
  • 17-08-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭

So normally I would say it's silly to ask a landlord about lightbulbs, but we have 2/3 of these need replacing in our bathroom of our rental.

They are the spring loaded recessed things with the little plug which is I guess a transformer.

Should I be replacing these or is it more for the landlord? They aren't cheap!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bulbs or the transformer?

MR16 bulbs, the usual type and sound like what you described, cost cents. They're consumables

The transformers, which do fail, are part of the wiring infrastructure and are the landlords issue. These days they should be bypassed / wiring upgraded and a GU10 mains voltage fitting installed instead which would allow use of LED bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

No, not those, I have lots of those. These are special low voltage for bathroom bulbs that come in one piece in a fitting with a wire from them into a transformer.

More like these

4 X Sanlumia LED Fire Rated Downlight Can GU10 Recessed Ceiling Twist & Lock Interchangeable Downlight IP65 SatinNickel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUC1E7A/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_JHN6EA9Q8P2E0SRQM6PA

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

The version in your Amazon link still takes a bulb - and will be GU10 if the fitting looks the same. The outer casing pop off these and the bulb fits inside.

and knowledge gap filled FTW! Thanks donnaille and others!

Indeed the lightbulb was a pin fitting once the "assembly" was dissasembled. However, when they were installed they were done so with that good old "sure tomorrow doesnt matter" mentality and half the ceiling around of it came away with the clips. And the second bulb has had itself glued to the mains and transformer...so thats not happening..

fun fun fun

If you're unclipping the fitting you're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement

Fair enough..how do it do it then,.I had to push back the clips to get it from ceiling, push back clips the other way to get to the inset fitting then pushg the bub and assembly foreward and seperate bub, replace and then do it all in reverse?

The bulb either clips in similar to a car bulb or it's a twisty. You shouldn't need to touch the fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

The outer bulb cover should* clip off without needing to remove the complete fitting. I say should, because they often don't without some force which then does cause the clips to damage the ceiling - the outer rim of the spotlight should cover any relatively light damage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you should replace them... post a picture of them. your description is a bit vague.

Pretty much what happened. Could have done without the glued in bits👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Advertisement