Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge - Advice

Options
  • 17-08-2021 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Finally getting the drive way done, which includes clearing my old hedge away. I presume it’s a privet but it’s in rag order and doesn’t suit the house.

I quite like the red Robin. I know it’s not a privacy hedge which I like. But I have seen them relatively dense - which I quite like.

is there a way to ensure that it becomes as dense as possible. And how long would that take?

We have the worlds most horrible, petty and vindictive neighbour. She’s horrible. The hedge at the moment stops the staring and eyeballing. Now we can put a hoarding in place in the mean time but I would like to make the hedge full as possible as soon as possible.

my other neighbour - who’s lovely - recommends a Portuguese Laurel. I just don’t like it as much.

appreciate any comments or views. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Making a hedge more dense is mainly a product of regular trimming. Each time the tip of a shoot is taken off it stimulates side shoots to grow and so regularly cutting shoots back leads to more side shoots and denser growth. It is important to allow the base of the hedge become slightly wider than the top so light can still reach the lower leaves as otherwise you may get bare patches in the more shaded parts.

How long this takes will depend on a number of factors like how tall you want the hedge to grow and what height the plants you put in the ground are to start with. The soil they are growing in and amount of light available and exposure to wind would also play a role. If you buy tall hedge plants and they are planted in a windy spot then the roots may be rocked a bit and the hedge plants may be slower to settle and start growing. If you want a bit more privacy while the hedge is getting established you could rig up a wall of wind protection netting on a wooden frame to protect your hedge as it is getting established as it does take some time.

Another option for a hedge to consider might be this type of cotoneaster which has the added benefit of flowers that are popular with pollinators in summer and berries that are good food for the birds.

Happy gardening!

That Portuguese Laurel was only planted in November 2019 from small plants. I really like it and find it so easy grow and to maintain with good soil and some feeding. I know it's not native but it's a lot easier to keep in check than some of the other options.

That's it in May 2020 for an indication of how quickly it can thicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Plant Red Robin no more than 2ft apart if you want a dense hedge. Prune it in Spring and late Autumn. Don't trim the top until the desired height is achieved. It'll put on 1ft a year easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thank you all for this. Much appreciated.

One other question - I like seeing the trunk of the bush and for the hedge to start higher …. if that makes sense.

Is there guidance on how to achieve this? Simple pruning where I want to hedge to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes, but wait until the hedge is at its final height and width

• Advertisement
Advertisement