Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Broadband

Options
  • 18-08-2021 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Eir fibre broadband was installed yesterday. Very impressed with the speed from my phone 143mbs (only went for the 150mbs deal). This morning I did some checked on the computers. only two of the computers connected via the 5Ghz channel, but at much lower speeds than the ones on the 2.4Ghz channel. Current speeds for computers is around the 50mbs which is close to what we had with the DSL. The phone is now only at 128mbs and there is a long delay when accessing websites.

Should we get Eir in to investigate? Wondering if the new modem has an issue. I am surprised that almost nothing is using the 5Ghz channel when its supposed to be faster. There doesn't seem to be an option to choose. There is a message about bandsteering but cannot find it in any of the options.

Help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

how far is the router from your devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭burrentech

No more than 1.5m Some are a little further away but the maximum distance is 4 metres. Its a small house, not blockwork, all internal walls are plasterboard. Even sitting on top of the modem the speeds are nowhere near advertised on the laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

model of the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭burrentech

Just switched back to the old one, its all fine now.

Advertisement