Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cash out / encash two small pensions

• 18-08-2021 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Like many colleagues in similar line of work, I have moved job so many times that honestly I've lost track!

In some of these companies I had no pension or was not a member of the scheme.

However, with two companies I did have a combination of employee + employer contributions into a defined contribution scheme.

For 1 of the pensions, upon leaving service I took out my employee contribution and the remaining employer contributions were transferred to a buy out bond. This is currently with Zurich Life

For the other pension, I took no action on leaving but instead have become a deferred member of the schema with Invesco.

The size of these is small. Large enough to perhaps use as a large deposit against a car but small enough that the annuity would be like a fiver a week. What's the point of that?

I've read and read and read and so I know at age 50 (rapidly approaching) I can encash some or all of these. However I cannot get past this 25% business.

Am I really forced to buy an annuity for 20 years with amounts so small it does not really make sense? Or can I encash both in full and pay my marginal rate of tax the day after my 50th?

I'd appreciate solid opinions and I'm not at all interested or open to persuasion about transferring them into PRSAs or another pension scheme etc. My mind is very clear. I just want to take whatever cash out that I can recover now and pay the tax man his cut :)

In case its relevant, I intend to continue working for at least another 10, 15 years. However I do not have any other Pension and do not intend to open a new one.

Thanks for any advice or links to solid info which says: Yes, you can encash the lot! :)

Its odd that in other jurisdictions like UK / US they explicitly have a 'small pension' exemptions which allows you to cash out everything immediately when eligible at 50 but I just cannot find similar black and white print in Ireland

Comments

Advertisement