Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GP’s / receptionist blood results in Ireland

• 18-08-2021 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently got bloods taken by my GP but I didn’t think of asking about obtaining a copy of my results when I was with him.

When I do get my results, (usually over the phone) if I ask for a copy of the results, can my GP/receptionist refuse to give a copy of them to me?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

No they can't. You're entitled to a copy of your medical records by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pacman2D

Thanks for that.

So would it usually be the receptionist that can print a copy off for me or will I have to go into my GP with another appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The receptionist can't give them to you without talking to the GP.

The GP may wish to talk to you before giving you the results, especially if there might be medical implications.

The GP might just post you a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pacman2D

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Generally GP will discuss blood results with a patient within a week albeit there was some delays recently due to cyber attack. You are entitled to recieve a copy if required and your GP will facilitate this. In my own case I get blood done every 3 months and results sent onto Endocrinologist electronically in advance of telephone consultations, previously I'd pick up copy results from GP reception and bring to face to face clinic consult albeit those too stopped with the pandemic.

Honestly I'd not have a clue how to read or understand results myself but yes, you can request a copy through GP.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

My GP's practice always facilitates availability. The doctor told me he will only contact if the results indicate a problem. However in my case, the 'bloods' are just taken for general observations as I dont have specific problems except those of age - BP, chance of prostate, etc. If a patient had a specific medical problem Id expect they would have to return to their doctor to discuss progress.

In my case I phone up the practice or write to them requesting results. I like to keep a watch on my cholesterol which has been good since first checked in '87!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

My GP always emails me the results, even if I don't ask. The receptionist might want to check with the doctor first, or ask the doctor to do it. Normally the doctor would like to comment on them, to either highlight any issues or to reassume that all was well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 havana21

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Pisses me off we are so dark ages.

On the NHS you can sign on to your patient portal & see all your blood results.

Sometimes we are told we have high cholesterol but get no breakdown of all the lipids.

I've asked for labs to be emailed, I've been told they will be & nothing ever arrives.

I've given up.

Advertisement