Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aphantasia, can you see mental images?

13»

Comments

5. I see colour mental pictures

I don’t see the difference between colour mental pictures and vivid. I choose colour but could have chosen either, but colour is more objective.

Aphantasia is interesting. I’ve only heard of it recently and nearly every character in books and movies is shown to dream or day dream, or to visualise the past or an idea. Where have you all been hiding?

There are also people who don’t have an inner voice. All internal dialogue is silenced. I’d like some of that. I read a blog where the writer said he assumed that the prevalence of internal dialogue, the voice over, in movies and tv shows was merely just a device to explain things, but wasn’t something he assumed real. He was amazed to find that other people have their own voiceovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭wench

1. I see no mental pictures

Hang on, you feckers hear voices, but we're the weird ones?? 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

It's bad enough to just find out other people can actually see vivid images in their mind, but now you're telling me they can also hear voices in their head when they think about something? And what's this **** about being able to hear songs in your head? I always knew I was different in many respects to the average person, but now I feel like a **** alien!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I have an inner monologue, but it's my voice only. Never any other voices/music etc.

I didn't understand memes like this for such a long time:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I recall as a kid having really, really lucid hallucinations when I had a fever. A lot of it was to do with perception; the size and spacing of things, the feeling of them. Though I can also remember once believing that there was a war taking place upstairs in our house :D

I used to relatively frequently experience the "Alice in Wonderland" thing mentioned when I wasn't sick. Where it would feel like everything around me was shrinking or moving away from me. Don't really get it at all any more as an adult, but sometimes high-stress situations like an interview or having to perform in front of people can bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Mine is less of an inner monologue, and more often full blown conversations and even arguments with different characters 😁

Like when I’m trying to think of something and it’s there, I know it’s there in my head, but I can’t access it, I’m saying to myself “Think! Think!”, and getting something like HAL in response 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I thought people would be able to vote on more than one answer. I assume some would be vivid colour & some vivid but only black and white.

Advertisement